Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys,

Just got my 215/65/16 Geolandar AT/S wheels mounted on my BBS Montreal II rims from my VW GTi. Look great. Ill post more pics soon. Did front and rear QD sways, painted the grill black and got a rear cargo mat.

Now for the questions! Are there DIY posts somewhere on fan cut off switches and the rear diff breather?

I looked under the car and the diff vent looks like its super hard to get to. Do i have to drop the diff or is there a fancy trick?

As for the fans, looks like there is two separate connections leading to the fans. One being for the a/c? Is there a place in the wiring were both of these meet together so i can mount a switch?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Search comes up with nothin :icon_frown:

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Can't help with breathers, but switch is easy. Buy a dual pole single throw switch(DPST). I would then buy a trailer wiring kit just to have 4 wires all together. Run one fan off one side of the switch and the other off the other side of the switch. Depending on how much they draw, you may need to run relays in line too.

·
Mr. August 2008
MY05 Forry XT
59 Posts
Now for the questions! Are there DIY posts somewhere on fan cut off switches and the rear diff breather?

I looked under the car and the diff vent looks like its super hard to get to. Do i have to drop the diff or is there a fancy trick?
Sorry I can't help re the fan cut off switches, but this should help you re the rear diff breather.

Ok then, as I said in an earlier post, If you undo the 2 nuts & take the 2 bolts out from the diff that hold it into the sub frame, you will have more room to pop it back into place. In doing this the diff will hang a little lower with the axels resting on the exhaust pipe.

I just popped the rear breather cap off & drilled it out. It is either 8mm or 9mm

I then used some tubing with the same outside diameter & jammed it in untill it was about half way into the breather cap.

Then the tricky part...trying to get the breather cap back into the diff.

Just persevere with it, it just pushesback in (does not screw in)

Once this is done, just run the tubing to wherever you want to.

I ran mine up into the RHS strut cavity via the existing hole in the floor (on RHS of spare wheel well) & up into the rear quarter panel.

I hope that with the included pics, it now makes more sense.
Regards
Mr Turbo

·
Registered
2001 Forester
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PERFECT!! thanks guys!

When i tackles both of these, ill post here to keep it all in one place. :rock:

·
Registered
2001 Forester
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guys any other info on the fan cutoff switch?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the reason for the fan cutoff? For when submerged?
wanna take the car to an ORV trail on the 15th and its got AlOT of water crossings. I heard that if the fans touch water, they dig into the radiator and offen crack it open. That would be a nono when ill be 2hours away from anything.

Any help would be nice!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just drained and refilled my rear diff. Probably factory fill. There was a noticeable clearness to the fluid that came from the fill hole when I unscrewed the plug. Fluid from the lower drain hole was normal gear oil looking. Clearly a bit of moisture got in there. Undoubtedly from wet and snowy roads over the last three years. Diff breather extension looks like a good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts