Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've searched through quite a few threads, and noted the comments on the misting/fogging issues, and I have to confess it appears to me that Subaru really didn't get the ventilation system figured out on this car.

My issue is about the fans speed, it's significantly less powerfull than my last two cars. (Now of course it might just be my fan, but I haven;t checked it yet.) My previous Saab-95 had at least 1 top fan speed that was uncomfortable for more than a few minutes, and my Mustang will freeze burn your fingers off after 5 minutes.

The Forester has a decent level of cold, but the fan speed is barely above half what I#m getting off the other two cars. Is that typical? (It doesn't help that you can't close off some face vents, and there aren't any rear vents, but that belongs in a different thread.)

I'll happily take "doesn't do that for me", as I'll get a fix done.

Cheers..

·
Registered
377 Posts
Air delivery is usually better on recirculate. Also if your inlet air filter is very dirty, it will restrict air flow from the fan. I've never thought my 99 Forester was sub-par, but may be different than an 06.

good luck

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,155 Posts
A lot of us have reported rather wimpy flow from the floor vents, but it's pretty good from the ones that blow in your face. Opening bothupper and lower seems to be diminish the flow from the upper vents by about the equivalent of one notch on the fan setting.

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Air delivery is usually better on recirculate. Also if your inlet air filter is very dirty, it will restrict air flow from the fan. I've never thought my 99 Forester was sub-par, but may be different than an 06.

good luck
Do you mean the main air filter, or is there a separate cabin filter. Both should have been changed 3k miles ago on the 60k miles service.

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of us have reported rather wimpy flow from the floor vents, but it's pretty good from the ones that blow in your face. Opening bothupper and lower seems to be diminish the flow from the upper vents by about the equivalent of one notch on the fan setting.
I changed the dial settings manually to face only, max fan, max cold. It was
just about OK today as it was only about 15 C outside but with bright sunshine, I am worried when it gets to 25C, 75/80F as it just aint going to deal with it.

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You also might want to check behind the glovebox where the recirculate air-intake is located. Make sure that no papers have fallen behind it and blocked the input.
Thanks, looks like the filter needs to be checked out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I meant the AC air filter behind the glove box.

I live in Houston where temps regularly exceed 90F (32C), and frequently exceed 100F(38C). My 99 Forester will deliver very cold air and will cool the cabin in minutes. It's a great AC system. If you're having problems at 25C, something is wrong w/ your AC (blocked ac filter might slow the air down, but it should still be plenty cold). Suggest having your system checked for charge and correct low side pressures when cooling.

good luck

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I meant the AC air filter behind the glove box.

I live in Houston where temps regularly exceed 90F (32C), and frequently exceed 100F(38C). My 99 Forester will deliver very cold air and will cool the cabin in minutes. It's a great AC system. If you're having problems at 25C, something is wrong w/ your AC (blocked ac filter might slow the air down, but it should still be plenty cold). Suggest having your system checked for charge and correct low side pressures when cooling.

good luck
No problem with coldness, just doesn't deliver it quick enough. My cabin filter arrived this morning, so wil get busy undoing lots of screws around the glove box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts