Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan belt was replaced by a mechanic and not by myself. Since then when the steering wheel is turned full left or full right there is an awful noise. I need to go back but if anyone can suggest what they did wrong it will help getting it fixed. There was never any noise before the belt replacement.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
1999 Forester
112 Posts
The power steering belt needs to be tightened, but avoid over-tightening as this will cause premature failure of accessory bearings down the road.

·
Registered
2004 WRX
2 Posts
Sir, you will have to be more specific. Such as what year forester you drive. Also, I doubt that your fan belt was replaced knowing that your fans are electric motor driven. Im sure with the complaint you have it was the accessory belts that were replaced.

What you need to do is simply take it back to the mechanic that worked on the car and let him take a look at it. The belt may just need tightening.

Trust me, I am a Factory Certified Subaru Technician.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Sir, you will have to be more specific. Such as what year forester you drive.
What you need to do is simply take it back to the mechanic that worked on the car and let him take a look at it. The belt may just need tightening.

Trust me, I am a Factory Certified Subaru Technician.
First welcome to you both to this site. You can always click on the Poster's name and view their Public Profile to see if they have provided a model description. In this case the model is a 2001 Blue Forester.

You can also add your vehicle info to your Signature so that it always show up when you post. Just go into your User CP, Edit Signature and add info like year/model/transmission for the basics. Joe-WRXBrakes, you can even add your WRX to the Signature, we don't mind that at all.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forester 2001

Just joined - so thank you for the quick responses. The car is a 2001 Forester. There are two belts on it and one should be to the power steering. I will check the tension and anything else before I go back to the repair shop. I do not normally drive the car (wife's) so I do not check it too often except for servicing. The car has about 50K miles on it. The belts were replaced but I will get the details now.

Thanks again for the recommendations. If this additional information can pin point the problem better please update.

Cheers,

Richard

·
Registered
03 Forester
1 Posts
Hi there,
Does anybody knows what have to be the tension of this belt(power steering) I have two belts snap for less than a year.....or is there a possibility my steering pump to be faulty?

Alex

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Hi there,
Does anybody knows what have to be the tension of this belt(power steering) I have two belts snap for less than a year.....or is there a possibility my steering pump to be faulty?

Alex
very unusual to have 2 belts snap that quickly. belts would likely either be damaged or defective to fail this quickly. component failure would likely produce loud noises (such as squealing or screeching) before the belt failed.

tension should be if you press down on the belt in-between 2 pulleys it should deflect 1/4 inch min to 1/2 inch max.

not sure if that is the official answer, but i have been doing this on different cars for awhile. i think it's what my Subaru Chilton manual also said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts