Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my church held a "Vintage Auto Show" as a fundraiser for the youth group.
There were some pretty neat old cars there.

Also, a lot of Mustangs across different years, and something about these caught my attention. Many of them had a legitimate-looking hood scoop, but under the hood was nothing for it to feed. No intercooler.

Why would a car maker put a phoney-baloney hood scoop on their cars? Does this seem pretentious and deceiving to anyone else or just me?

I kind of feel betrayed. I thought that a scoop meant that the car was turbocharged, but it looks like that's just not the case. It'd be like putting 8 spark plugs and wires in an engine with only 6 cylinders, just to make it look like a V-8 when it's not, where the extra 2 do diddly squat.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Subaru did it for years on the RS. Some people only care about the look and not the mechanical.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
Toyota has done it for YEARS on their 4-runner and Tacoma trucks. Ford did it on the Mustangs, and a bunch of overseas cars had them for no reason as well.

The Mustang Mach-1 of the newer vintages DID have shaker scoops. The scoops directly attached to air intakes.

I believe the various iterations of the Trans-Am WS6 and the 6.0L GTO's have scoops that don't directly feed intakes (though I believe they do indirectly feed intake boxes.

Hood scoop doesn't mean or insinuate turbocharged. Toyota Supra's don't have hood scoops, neither do DSM's or the first generation Mazdaspeed 3 and 6. Neither do the myriad of new-generation turbo BMW's (the 135/335, and the 2011 535i/750/760 cars). I don't believe any generation of turbocharged VW's or Audis had hood scoops. I also don't think any of the turbo Volvo's have ever had hood scoops.

Hood scoops were primarily a Subaru initiated thing, and even N/A cars had them for quite some time.

Hell, Subaru even had a turbo car, with a hood scoop, that didn't have an intercooler!

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
My 97 Legacy GT has a scoop with no turbo/intercooler. And it looks badazzzzz... :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
hood scoops and "ram air" have been around a lot longer than subaru, the scoop feeds air to the carb/air cleaner setup and usually makes a seal with rubber weatherstripping to the hood

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Toyota has done it for YEARS on their 4-runner and Tacoma trucks. Ford did it on the Mustangs, and a bunch of overseas cars had them for no reason as well.

The Mustang Mach-1 of the newer vintages DID have shaker scoops. The scoops directly attached to air intakes.

I believe the various iterations of the Trans-Am WS6 and the 6.0L GTO's have scoops that don't directly feed intakes (though I believe they do indirectly feed intake boxes.

Hood scoop doesn't mean or insinuate turbocharged. Toyota Supra's don't have hood scoops, neither do DSM's or the first generation Mazdaspeed 3 and 6. Neither do the myriad of new-generation turbo BMW's (the 135/335, and the 2011 535i/750/760 cars). I don't believe any generation of turbocharged VW's or Audis had hood scoops. I also don't think any of the turbo Volvo's have ever had hood scoops.

Hood scoops were primarily a Subaru initiated thing, and even N/A cars had them for quite some time.

Hell, Subaru even had a turbo car, with a hood scoop, that didn't have an intercooler!
Yeah, my uncle has a WS6 with scoops, that do actually feed a ram air system. His car is the only Trans-Am that I like... it's an '01, I think, with about 8,000 miles. Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Barely modded.

My dad had an '04 Mach with the shaker as well... and that was pretty cool. Fun to romp the throttle and watch it twitch. :lol: He had other mustangs before that with lots of fake scoops. :N_poke:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
I knew a guy who didn't ski who put a ski rack on his RX-7. Thought it would get him chicks. I'm sure he needed all the help he could get ....

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sport
74 Posts
I'm sure the hood scoop thing started way back as a homoligation(spelling may be off) rule in motorsports which added a hood scoop for racers to legally cut holes in their hoods for ram air and cooling. That being said, it probably trickled down into something cosmetic like those vents you see on the side of Buicks.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
106 Posts
My favorite was on my step moms Pontiac bonneville, supercharged version, and it had "dual exhaust". I looked underneath the car one day and saw the real, dinky, single exhaust, exiting nowhere near the plastic chrome dual exhaust. The two tips on either side were all show. Then again, it was a Pontiac.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
My favorite was on my step moms Pontiac bonneville, supercharged version, and it had "dual exhaust". I looked underneath the car one day and saw the real, dinky, single exhaust, exiting nowhere near the plastic chrome dual exhaust. The two tips on either side were all show. Then again, it was a Pontiac.
Tons of cars do this. Check out the Lexus LS460...

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Anybody remember the older Nissan Maximas with the big oval-shaped muffler tip that was really just a piece of metal wrapped around the two tiny little muffler outlets? I always got a laugh out of that one.

My dad's BMW is refreshing in the fact that it's a straight six with dual exhaust (quad tips).... and it's a true dual setup with an X pipe.

·
Registered
775 Posts
i was contemplating some kind of ram air my foz turbo scoop on the NA
A Subaru hoodscoop is too good to waste. I used it on my 2000 OBS to create a cold air system with good results. I opened one side of the scoop and funnel it into a supplemental air horn on the filter box plenum. Then I plumbed the regular intake into the fenderwell. It make a noticeable difference in power and sounds good too. It's been like that for 5 years now with no problems.

Guy

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts