Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving home last night when I heard a whistling kind of sound through my open window. All of a sudden I hear "vroom" followed by the distinct sound of boxer rumble. I had recently inspected the exhaust for corrosion about a month ago and I gave it a clean bill of health. Inspected again last night and the flange seal between the cat and the resonator appears to have failed suddenly.

I never had a 4 year old exhaust just suddenly fail. Now people are looking at me like I have a catback exhaust when I pull up to lights.

Just wondering why this flange seal has failed so abruptly. I know I'm a bit high on the miles (105,500) but there is almost no corrosion under this car.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it does. I gave it a closer look and it appears that I was wrong about the flange. The whole resonator has split at the seams the long way. That explains every noise the car has ever made that didn't sound right to me. A whole year of trying to figure of what that muffled chatter I been hearing while coasting and engine braking. The intermittent whistle sounds I been hearing at drive threws.

Now I got to price a resonator out. I hear that some cat backs are cheaper then the oem exhaust. This may be my excuse to up the exhaust in the summertime.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone could give me the best way to go about fixing this that be great. Just got to keep it legal to Massachusetts (Taxachusetts) state laws and easy on the wallet.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X AT
4,235 Posts
edit,
my bad didn't see your resonator was split... not sure if the cat is part of the resonator pipe on the 07's.

Actually, would this be covered under warranty since the car is only 3 yr old?

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt it. I don't think the car has any warranty. Has 105,500 on the clock.

Making a temporary fix tomorrow. Gonna cut the resonator off with a hack saw and replace with 2.5inch exhaust flex pipe for now. Will do until I figure out what rout I'm gonna do to fix.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know where I can find a magnaflow muffler under $50. Since Im gonna straight pipe the resonator, I might as well saw off the muffler. I hear this sounds good with a magnaflow.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Work is done!!! Installed flow master Muffler and welded straight pipe where resonator was.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The resonator straight pipe has clamp marks in it from when i tried to tighten the clamps down to stop them from leaking before I welded it later on in the day. Wasn't expecting to weld to at least thrusday.

Just need to get my hands on a good resonator. Shes a bit too loud and I wanna clean up the exhaust note. Feel free to send me recommendations.

Edit: Ordered a resonator.

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3146

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,093 Posts
Nice fabrication work! A different tone than the Magnaflow... a bit deeper & louder. One thing I see that might be a problem is the angle of the exhaust tip into the Flowmaster muffler. It looks to me like it would channel water into the muffler. My quick research tells me the Flowmaster is aluminized steel, where as the Magnaflow is all stainless steel. Any water getting into the muffler may cause it to rust out. Did you leave a weep hole where the exhaust tip attaches to the muffler? This would give any water entering the exhaust tip a place to exit. :wink:

I see you ordered a resonator. That maynot be enough, you may need to insert a glasspack, if one will fit on the midpipe. :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I though I should do a weep hole, nothing a drill can't fix. Whats a glass pack?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,093 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What to do if the resonator I ordered doesn't quiet it enough, is there an oldschool trick you can do? I have seen people roll up a bit of steel mesh and stick it in the tail pipe. I don't race my car so im not worried about to much added back pressure.

I love the deep sound, but its a bit loud for my tastes and I don't wanna attract the 5-0. Hoping the resonator helps, if not steel mesh in going in the midpipe.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE: Going to repair factory resonator and weld new resonator to old repaired one. This should cut the volume and drone down a good bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts