Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My gearshift faceplate has a few faded spots from spilled beverages that were wiped away promptly. :shake: Are there touch-up paint kits for this? If so, where do I find them and what is the color code? 2009 2.5X Limited with Spark Silver Metallic exterior and Black Leather interior. See photo.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,798 Posts
I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Unfortunately, that happens to the trim. It doesn't take much to spot that silver finish. :frown: Your option is to paint it or order a replacement piece like I did, but it's expensive. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Administrator
41,798 Posts
^^ Sounds like a plan! Free is always nice & if you can't get it replaced under warranty, you're not any worse off. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replacement idea! I will check if it is covered by warranty. If so, I'll take it to the dealer next month. If not, I will just go to a body shop and match as close as possible...

·
Administrator
41,798 Posts
If you're going to have it painted at a body shop, it might be less costly to order a new part. Check at the parts department when you're at your dealership, or ask one of the supporting vendors here on the forum. DIY replacement should be very easy. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Are spots from a spilled fluid strong enough to affect paint be covered under warranty?
Does that apply to spots on the seats, too?
I am not sure about spots on painted interior parts but I would argue that with the dealer if he is giving me a hard time. I learned this early on if you have a new car and take care of it regularly.........if the dealer won't give you satisfaction then ask when the regional (SOA, in this case) will be in. They make regular trips to the dealerships. Tell the service mgr that you want to schedule an appointment when he is there. If you are nice and just state your case you will most likely get what you want. Case in point.....When I had my BMW 750IL, after 2.8 years of ownership I complained about the wheels. I kept them very clean, well as clean as possible. At that time they started looking dingy so I went in for service and wanted BMW to repaint them for me. The service rep said NO WAY. I did the above ^ and when the regional showed up we talked. He could see that I took care of my car and to my amazement he told the service mgr to order me a complete new set of wheels with center caps. I'm not sure if you know how expensive OEM wheels are.....especially from BMW but they weren't cheap. From that point on I was treated like a king there.

Regarding the seats....if you purchased a scotch guard package you will have a warranty against stains. If not then you can clean them yourself with an interior automotive fabric cleaner or better yet you can have a carpet cleaning company that does furniture come to your house and do the interior. I am sure the steam cleaning will make them look brand new, without chemicals, well maybe mild ones. It shouldn't be too expensive an worth every penny. I had a couch done at home and I was amazed. That's my take on it.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Are spots from a spilled fluid strong enough to affect paint be covered under warranty?
Does that apply to spots on the seats, too?
....the factory warranty covers defects. ....not damage caused by the customer, nature, etc. Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to ask as Bobby mentioned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts