Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if the 05 XT comes with synthetic engine oil from the factory?

I heard it does, but didn't see anything about it in the manual.

I'd be interested in hearing some theories on engine break-in and synthetic. Some people swear it's better to wait ~8-10k before putting in synthetic. Others claim that better metallurgy and tighter tolerances reduce the ring seat period, making break-in a thing of the past...

I'm thinking if my XT came with synthetic already in it, doing the 3000k oil change with regular crude would be, well, crude. Any opinions??

thanks for the time,

_D

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I don't think it comes with synthetic. I switched my car to synthetic at 8k miles. I changed the oil with regular oil at 3k, 6k then then to synthetic at 8k.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
It doesn't come with synthetic. AFAIK only a select few cars come with synthetic from the factory, usually high-end performance cars like porsche, corvette, mercedes, etc. I doubt even the STi comes with synthetic. If t did, believe me, the dealers would be jumping all over you to use synthetic in the oil change.

I'm at 7500 and I'm going to switch over to Mobil 1 synthetic next week.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great - thanks for the feedback guys-

I'm going to wait until ~ 10k then - that's what Peaty and a few others have done, and this was the same adivce given to me by an aviation mechanic that I know-

i know that LS2's come w/ synthetic, and SC mini motors come with syn as well...

thanks,

_d

1 - 7 of 7 Posts