Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 PZEV 4 auto
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evnin all. Spent some time playin in the snow this winter. Often rescuing those that were stuck...for the record I did get stuck once:) I've just been using the factory tow hook (eye) attached to the front. Unfortunately we only have one. Was wondering what folks think of the strength of the factory hitch. (The 1 inch). Do we think that hitch can be used to recover a stuck vehicle and be yanked on in kind to recover my baby ?....heaven forbid I venture to deeply again.

Thanks,

W.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2007 none auto
64 Posts
I guess it depends on what your idea of "yanking" might be and how stuck the vehicle is... I've seen bumpers and tow hooks being ripped off, but that was on heavier vehicles... So my suggestion is that it can be used, but it depends on the situation..

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
I don't consider my vehicle to be a tow truck. If someone needs to be pulled out of a ditch or snow bank, I'll be happy to call a tow truck for them, though.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
A 1-1/4" class I hitch is rated to tow up to 2,000 lbs. So, if you are pulling out old CRXs or Caterham 7s out of the ditch then no problem.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
I'm betting if you folks towing people out of ditches and snow banks damage your drivetrain or other parts, the people you pull out won't pay for the repairs, neither will your insurance.

This is why I won't play tow truck.

·
Registered
2007 none auto
64 Posts
I don't expect them too... But offroad, you always help, when you can.... It's rewarding and you never know if you're going to be the one that needs a tug...

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium, AWP 5MT
566 Posts
Agree. In all of my road-less-traveled hobbies (hiking, trail running, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, offroading) I've always helped others where I'm able and it's safe and I've also gotten help when needed (thanks, people!). That said, I'd be real careful of what I tried to yank and how 'stuck' that vehicle is. Our Foresters are not body-on-frame type trucks.

·
Registered
2010 PZEV 4 auto
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not planning to open a "Forester based" recovery/wrecking service just yet. Just some friendly off road assistance....where tow trucks don't venture. And I'll try to limit it to vehicles smaller than a dually one ton pickup.

W.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts

·
Lifer
2015 Forester CVT
526 Posts
Strong attachments

I also help with my little fellow. Once helped a UPS truck out when he slid into the ditch beside my snowy driveway.

A thing for anyone to consider when pulling on another vehicle is that BOTH attachment points should be very strong. A buddy came across a good-sized RV stuck on a stream crossing on Pismo Beach. The tide was coming in. Dan had a brand new 4WD pickup with large and aggressive tires. Dan had one of the very heavy duty stretchy straps, and asked the RV-owner if he'd like help. They hooked the strap to the RV bumper. When Dan took a little run to store energy in the strap, it tore the RV bumper off and that came through Dan's rear window, to the right of him, tore up his dash, and went on out through his windshield. It was lucky he was not killed. The dash damage disabled his pickup, so both vehicles were covered by seawater before they could get a tow truck to extract them.

It's probably reasonable to at least get a simple signed release from the other party, in case his property is damaged or someone is injured.

·
Administrator
16,875 Posts
I've given many cars a tug with my hitch receiver. However, it's part of my SubaXtreme rear bar. If recovering, or being recovered by, a heavy vehicle then it's best to use a snatch strap which will absorb impact and avoid the risk of twisting the body shell. Give advice to any heavy vehicle driver recovering your Subie that it should be just an easy "tow" rather than a full on snatch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts