Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
13 Liberty GT wagon AT
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mods, please sticky if you see fit.

:woohoo:Well, thanks to Engenuity's invaluable lead and some legwork by my big bro, G, we have cracked the reverse camera enable and input connections on the Navi units (as fitted to MY09 Forester and MY08 Impreza/WRX & STi). We disassembled the Navi unit to get down to the third PC board to check the circuits and components so G could work out what was what. Slightly nerve racking but it all went back together and functions perfectly. Luckily for you all you need to do is plug things in!

Socket/Plug:
The socket you need is the white square 8 pin (2 x 4) at the bottom right of the back of the Navi unit. A proper plug is hard to find for reasonable money although the Aux-in lead Subaru sell for the 06-07 Impreza Clarion unit has the same plug at the HU end -part number H6210FG000 - but it's $US60!
There's a guy on NASIOC who sells his own aux-in lead with this plug - Tim-M who is worth a shot if you want the proper plug. EDIT: Contact Tim McCabe by email at
jtco"at"sympatico.ca to order the correct plug - you can pay by PayPal. The plug works perfectly, I recommend it!

Cheap alternative connectors:
The cheap/easy way to connect the camera is to find some mini square crimp pins -in Australia you can get some suitable ones at Jaycar called PCB sockets(0.9mm) - part HP-1260 for $3.60, but you will also need to insulate them with 1mm shrink-wrap as the pins in the socket are very close together. We soldered the wires in first then crimped, then shrink wrapped.
I think in the USA possibly suitable pins are called "Telephone butt connectors" at Radioshack for $1.99. (see BonesDT's post at NASIOC - he used them on the same socket in the Clarion unit for cheapie Aux-in MP3 mod) forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25769094

Assuming you want to connect a reversing camera with a stock RCA output (I used a Kenwood CCD-2000 with an interlaced scan signal, 1Vp-p/75ohm, I'm pretty sure most car cameras you get will do this) you will need to get an in-line RCA socket and connect 2 wires from it to the PCB pins to put into the unit - there is no co-axial input obviously. Best to twist the pair of signal wires to reduce interference - see pic, sorry it's a bit fuzzy - damn phone camera.

The other connection is the enable or pull up to tell the unit to look for the reversing camera and overide the screen - this just needs to be a short length of wire to goes to an eyelet that you can put under a handy screw on the side of the Navi chassis.(see pic).

Connections:
The socket, as viewed from the rear has pins numbered like this:
Top: 4 3 2 1
Bottom: 8 7 6 5

The "enable" or pull up goes on pin 6 and the other end goes under a screw on the side of the Navi chassis -ie: earth.

The signal wire from the Co-ax/RCA goes to pin 1, the shield goes to pin 5.

I recommend you connect your camera power, earth and reverse light wires to your camera power box down the back LHS of the car under the rear quarter trim(at the trailer connector) and just run the coax/RCA plug forward up to the Navi. I actually tapped into power, earth and reverse in the loom at the back of the Navi and put the camera box behind the climate control area but in hindsight i'd connect down the back.

Job done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 FXT
10 Posts
This great info indeed!

As a really new owner of an 09 with Nav, a back up camera is something I will be installing.

Do you have any other info you can share?

Thanks!!

Here is a crappy picture of our new ride

·
Registered
13 Liberty GT wagon AT
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep - take your time, and spend some $ downloading the factory service pdfs from SOA - vital to pulling apart the car, finding wires etc to make life as easy as possible for you. I used the Kenwood CCD-2000 camera as it's almost the same as the factory (JDM/Aust) kit.

I presume if you are going to tackle this you will have some handy skills - it's not exactly a job for the inexperienced.

But with this info - if you decide not to tacke yourself - you can get a competent professional to do the job and tell him where to connect it in so it works perfectly.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
10 Posts
Thanks for the additional info, much appreciated.

No worries on the DIY, I work on German and Italian cars:)

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Rock on & great job!

joe r

·
Registered
13 Liberty GT wagon AT
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no worries

No worries Rennsport - sounds like you know your way around cars then.
I worry that a noob may think the reverse camera thing is a piece of cake and hack into their new car with limited skills and few ideas but just knowing the correct connections will fix it all........!:chair:

Strange, my power sockets in the centre console (both) dont seem to work now - must have unplugged something during the camera/navi fix and didn't reconnect -have to check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2007 Impreza
1 Posts
I have found a website that sells a Subaru Forester MY2009 camera kit. The kit connects to the factory installed Kenwood entertainment unit for only $575.00. The camera is a bumper bar style round camera.
Link can be found below to store.

09 Subaru Forester Camera

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back up camera adaptor plug

Hello,

I have made and a prototype adaptor plug for the back up camera.

It has been tested by a member on the iwsti forum and works great :)

It has a shielded female RCA for the video input and a trigger wire to connect to a ground source on the back of the stereo. The connector is the correct OEM style that plugs in and locks into place. Here is a picture of the prototype connector

I will start production this week if you are interested, e-mail me at for more info:

jtco(at)sympatico(dot)ca

Cheers,

Tim-M

·
Registered
13 Liberty GT wagon AT
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
excellent!

Good on ya Tim - a nice piece of kit - that plug will give anyone doing the conversion a much easier run with connections. Well done.

(Tim, BTW - I STILL haven't got round to putting the plug you sent me in - it's ski season here and the holidays have just disappeared!)

I can recommend Tim's plug - it's a quality piece of gear and fits exactly like factory. All you have to do is connect your wires.

:biggrin:

Edit - Finally attached Tim's plug and it all looks sweet - see attached pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
MY09 Forester XT Premium
8 Posts
Nice work Tim

I have made and a prototype adaptor plug for the back up camera.
Nice work, Tim. After a ton of leg work getting the inside info on the pins, I STILL haven't got around to fitting a camera! That plug'll come in handy, that's for sure!

Do you post to Australia? PM me if you do ;O)

Cheers!

·
Registered
08 STI
1 Posts
Good on ya Tim - a nice piece of kit - that plug will give anyone doing the conversion a much easier run with connections. Well done.

(Tim, BTW - I STILL haven't got round to putting the plug you sent me in - it's ski season here and the holidays have just disappeared!)

I can recommend Tim's plug - it's a quality piece of gear and fits exactly like factory. All you have to do is connect your wires.

:biggrin:
sent an email, hope to order my plug asap!!

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester limi
94 Posts
Hi,

Sent an email. I might need 2 if it works well.

What kind of camera is compatabile.

Will it get activated when the reverse gear is engaged

Thanks

regards

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
11 Posts
Anybody out there who has successfully installed the reverse camera, please help!!!!

I got a ccd camera(not the kenwood). I went to a professional audio installed who was installing speakers and sub in my car. I got him to Install the camera and wire to the back of the NAVI head unit as instructed. When we put into reverse, the screen goes to the camera input but its seems to put grey lines on the screen like when you have ntsc and pal set incorrectly. I can't really see any picture (just thick grey/black mainly eratic grey lines)

I am pretty sure the installer wired it up correctly as indicated above: Pin 6 - Earth, Pin 1 - Signal, Pin 5 - Shield. I have the pins heat shrunk as well.

Can't seem to figure out what is going on. Can anyone help. I even tried changing the ntsc/pal setting for the aux input but it does not make any difference.

Has anyone experienced this issue. Could we have wired the pins incorrectly. So much time wasted on getting this sorted. I have finally given up and wanted to check on this post if anyone can offer any suggestions.

The installer said he even connected another camera to the head unit and experienced the same issue. Could it be the wiring or the head unit itself...

Please if anybody can help. It would be greately appreciated!!!!!!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Kenwood CCD-2000 installed !

Thanks to Tim for the custom made plug and the many Fozzers that have posted how-to's here and in a zillion other threads...
I got my CCD-2000 in today and with Tim's plug and a little magic got my backup camera installed. I ran the cable in thru one of the license plate screw holes on the bottom that I don't use and sealed it up on both sides with some raamat.. did the inside of the tailgate with raamat (dynamat but better?) while I was there as well..and it sounds solid when you shut the gate.
I did all of the wiring behind the head unit, tapped into the reverse wire there and shazam! it's working.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
I bought it on Amazon, via E&B Electronics, was $159.. really glad I spent the extra cash on that camera - the clarity is great and it works really well at night, the reverse lights light up the whole road. I've had reverse cams in a couple of other suv's and this one is by far the best. The wide angle is really WIDE...just angle it down so you can just see the edge of the rear bumper and its perfect. Credit also to SVXdc who made me a wiring harness for my stereo upgrade and also gave me all the wiring info I needed to do this as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester limi
94 Posts
Hi Romclean,

Thanks for your advice. I have ordered the camera from crutchfield and also Tims plug. Kindly let me know what stereo upgrade did you do. I have installed subaru subwoofer that is it.

Keep me posted.

regards

1 - 20 of 111 Posts