Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for your settings? I know the factory unit is lacking, and I've heard better sound out of my clock radio! What settings should it be at to at least make it tolerable? Please don't tell me to get a new unit, the wife likes the factory look so I'm not going to change it out.

2010 Forester Limited
Factory 6 disc head unit
Factory underseat subwoofer

Am I missing a switch or something for the factory woofer? I don't feel like it's really driving any bass.

Also, do you guys use the "dynamic" setting? Supposedly it helps seperate out the high, mids and lows so that it sounds better.

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
Turn the "Buy a New Headunit" setting all the way up! :biggrin: I'm sure you can tweak settings all day, but IMHO, you're just polishing crap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love polishing a turd!

Nothing funner than throwing money at something that isn't exactly what you want; when you could have spent less money to buy what you wanted originally!
:banana:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
I keep my settings pretty flat. Bass at 0, midbass at -2, treble at 0. I don't like artificially distorted sound, nor sound that is so bass-heavy it sounds like a thunderstorm is coming.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
There's both a Gain and Crossover setting on the front of the Sub. Pop in a good CD and adjust it to get the best sound out of it... you'll be suprised at how shiny that turd will get. And I use the dynamic setting on mine, it just seems to sound better. I like the stock look too, and upgrading the stock single disc stereo to the 6 disc changer was probably the best $70.00 I spent. :woohoo:

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
There's both a Gain and Crossover setting on the front of the Sub. Pop in a good CD and adjust it to get the best sound out of it... you'll be suprised at how shiny that turd will get. And I use the dynamic setting on mine, it just seems to sound better. I like the stock look too, and upgrading the stock single disc stereo to the 6 disc changer was probably the best $70.00 I spent. :woohoo:
+1 Adjusting these two knobs are critical. When I received my forester, I couldn't believe that the subwoofer was installed. There was no bass, but then I quickly found the two small knobs on the subwoofer. Adjusting these made a world of difference. I don't like booming bass, so I set the crossover setting low, but turned up the gain a bit.

Does anyone else find that the tweeters over-accentuate the treble region? I had to bump up the bass and mid range, while decreasing the treble.

·
Registered
06 Wrx
38 Posts
+1 Adjusting these two knobs are critical. When I received my forester, I couldn't believe that the subwoofer was installed. There was no bass, but then I quickly found the two small knobs on the subwoofer. Adjusting these made a world of difference. I don't like booming bass, so I set the crossover setting low, but turned up the gain a bit.

Does anyone else find that the tweeters over-accentuate the treble region? I had to bump up the bass and mid range, while decreasing the treble.
thats what you gotta do

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
thats what you gotta do
Couldn't agree more with this comment. First and formost if you ordered your Forester with the Sub option all they do is install it, and like TC2000 said you must adjust the Gain and Crossover. It does make the sound come alive.

The attached pdf is a good starting point.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info ya'll!

I looked all over the manual for that info!

And I do agree, that the tweeters seem to over power the mid, that's why I was asking about settings! I could seem to find a good balance.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
9 Posts
Are Subaru Subs interchangeble between model years?

I just got a 2010 Forester and was wondering if older model year subs would work? Kinda in the same situation. Don't wanna change the look and I definately don't want a big sub box takin up room for more important stuff. I just want to save some cash and get a good deal on a Sub for a "lil" bass.

·
Registered
2015 XT AT
18 Posts
try sound proofing and new speakers

I did a combination of sea-scooby's Quiet Car Project and AzNFoLife924's Dynamating Project (see links below). I didn't have time to cover both exterior and interior of the doors like Sea-Scooby so I purchased RaamMat BXT II (same specifications as Dynamat Extreme with fraction of the price) and covered the interior door like AzNFoLife924's project (he used Dynamat). I then added Ensolite and replaced the front speakers to Boston Acoustics.

My 2010 FXT is now much quieter with a significant improvement in sound quality.

subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/project-quiet-car-28591

subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/dynamating-09-10-w-pics-66441

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
603 Posts
bass 3 mid 1 treb 0 sometimes fad 2R
i have aftermarket speakers and sub though

i also dynamatted the interior and i usually run off an ipod which makes a difference sound wise

i run the ipod as a flat eq

i def want a new head unit but its one thing at a time

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
I'm looking to improve the sound in my new XT. I have the Nav head unit and it has so many features that I wouldn't consider changing it out.

I'm in the process of researching replacement front and rear door speakers. This should be an easy way to improve the sound.

Last weekend, I installed the iPod Integration kit and that along with the head units parametric like eq settings provide great sound on some material but the factory speakers are still lacking.

The real challenge will be the subwoofer. I'm not going to get crazy with a big box and amp. I'd like to stick with the factory unit, but I don't want to buy twice. Wish I could hear one in someone's car before making that purchase.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Couldn't agree more with this comment. First and formost if you ordered your Forester with the Sub option all they do is install it, and like TC2000 said you must adjust the Gain and Crossover. It does make the sound come alive.

The attached pdf is a good starting point.
I just bought a 2010 FOrester with the subwoofer accessory but I dont see any adjustments anywhere on the unit. Am I missing something? Just not looking hard enough?

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
Yeah the adjustments are hard to see.

lirong you'll have to get down on your hands and knees, with a flashlight and small screwdriver, to make the adjustments.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
lirong you'll have to get down on your hands and knees, with a flashlight and small screwdriver, to make the adjustments.
Thanks Caddyguy. Found them. Helpful tip as I was searching for knobs, not screws!

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
169 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm going tomorrow to buy my very Foz and the tweeters and sub/amp are some of the options that we want to get, so this info has been helpful !!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tweaking the sub as described above made a big difference for me.

I have to say, while the audio system is still on the weak side, having the extra tweeters, sub (tweaked) and putting the radio on Surround/Circle mode (big difference!) helped a lot.

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
Yep, for all the bashing the stock HU's get the tweet's & sub do make it bearable. I still have door speaker upgrades planned for sometime in July.

My gripe with my NAV HU is the sound quality/clarity between the different sources. AM is, well AM, FM is muddy, CD is pretty good, but the iPod sounds the best. Still can't figure that one out.
I know if I was back in my 20's I would have ripped this whole system out and started over but being in my mid 50's it sounds good to my ears.

Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts