1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0XS / EU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Factory nav unit wiring question

Hello,

Does someone know what's the purpose of the connector, pointed at the 1st picture? The unit is factory nav unit, PN: 86271SC020. I've found photos in the web for 86271SC010 (US models) and 86271SC030 (EU right-hand models), and they both doesn't have this connector on the back.

Also, can the nav unit from the pictures be installed in a 09 Forester with 6-CD changer ? I mean do the wiring/harness differ in both units ? The only things different I've found so far are the AUX input connector - original stereo unit has Audio IN, while the Nav unit has Audio IN and Video IN(parts 15 and 16 on the schema), and the GPS antenna(part 2 on the schema). I suppose the GPS antenna should be purchased separately as it is not included in 6-CD stereo unit setup ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Hi tisho,
Does [anyone] know what's the purpose of the connector, pointed at the 1st picture?
Here's a close-up from your picture:

(click to see larger image)​
That appears to be the connection for a Kenwood RDS-TMC Data Receiver (Radio Data System Traffic Message Channel), such as the KNA-TM320.

Which country/market was that Navi radio from?

can the nav unit from the pictures be installed in a 09 Forester with 6-CD changer ?
That might be possible, but it would be difficult. You would need to tap into several wires behind the dash and console to connect to the 24-pin connector on the Navi unit.
... do the wiring/harness differ in both units ?
Yes, the wiring harnesses are different. The Navi unit uses the 14-pin harness for speakers and power (the same type of harness that Subaru has been using since 1993). The 2009 Forester 6-CD (and also non-Navi Imprezas starting in 2008) use a new 20-pin harness.

The Navi has a 24-pin harness for navigation-related pins, plus the A/V input. The 6-CD unit has the 8-pin plug for Aux audio input (plus a subwoofer output on the 2009 Forester).

Please see this post that I put together for more information about these new harnesses.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0XS / EU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi SVXdc,

thank you very much for the info,

Which country/market was that Navi radio from?
Actually, I won the navi unit at Ebay, and have no information about the unit(I suppose it is for the US market, as bought from Ebay.com, also Opposedfrces.com shows the US '08 Imprezas as applicable, as well the EU Foresters(like mine)). Also I'm not sure the unit is properly working(I hope the screen scratch can be fixed), it is not still delivered to me (some kind of lagged international delivery..), hope to get it in the next 2 weeks.

That might be possible, but it would be difficult. You would need to tap into several wires behind the dash and console to connect to the 24-pin connector on the Navi unit.
This is very strange - the both units have different harness, but you can still purchase the navi unit as an upgrade (P/N: H001EFG001). So I guess the upgrade package comes with all the needed harness?:icon_rolleyes:

I thought it will be easy installation, but it seems that the "upgrade" will be a hard work to do. Any help is highly appreciated(unfortunately I have no expirience with car electronics), and I promise to make photos on the process for the next enthusiasts...:Banane14:

B.T.W. there was another factory navi unit on Ebay(removed from 2008 Impreza), but with no interest at it.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
609 Posts
Could be for satellite radio?
Are you getting the GPS antenna, the link for the other unit for sale said ‘no GPS antenna’?
Where did you buy it, Ebay US or Ebay UK? You might have to get DVD’s for your region, I think there like $200 new.
All you can do when you get it is plug it in, if it will and see if it works. In my limited experience with Subaru’s there pre wired for all the options.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Actually, I won the navi unit at Ebay, and have no information about the unit (I suppose it is for the US market, as bought from Ebay.com [US] ...
That was quite a good price. Hopefully it works. The scratch looks somewhat bad. I hope you can polish that smooth.

It's very likely it will be a USDM radio. So it won't have that extra RDS-TMC socket. I don't think the seller is including a DVD or GPS antenna. You can buy an aftermarket antenna. You'll need to search locally for the appropriate map DVD for your country.

This is very strange - the both units have different harness, but you can still purchase the navi unit as an upgrade (P/N: H001EFG001). So I guess the upgrade package comes with all the needed harness?
In the US, each car has the appropriate harness (14-pin or 20-pin) depending on which radio was factory-installed. The cars do not have both harnesses. I suspect that this USDM Navi you bought does not include any extra harnesses. I'm fairly sure that your Forester has the 20-pin radio harness.

Interesting: The drawing on OpposedForces shows a wiring harness, part number 86273FG000, to connect the Navi radio to the car's radio harness (it is #11 on their drawings). This appears to have a 14-pin connector that plugs into the Navi, and a 20-pin connector to plug into the car's radio harness.

I recommend that you ask a local Subaru dealer if they can get a detailed description of that 86273FG000 harness. If they can't, try asking the Subaru corporate office for your country.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the Navi has a second 24-pin connector for parking brake, steering wheel controls (SWC), A/V input, and more. Some of those functions are on your Forester's 20-pin radio harness, so those wires would need to be connected to the Navi's 24-pin socket. If the drawing on OpposedForces is accurate, the 86273FG000 adapter does not do that.

If the 86273FG000 adapter is exactly like the drawing, you will need to modify that and add a 24-pin plug. Alternatively, you could buy individual harnesses to build an equivalent of the 86273FG000, and add the extra wiring you need.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
RDS is an internal function of a radio. TMC is an add-on, an annex of the same technology using a secondary tuner...

/edit tisho, I can arrange copies of the wiring diagram for navi and radio if it'd be useful?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts