Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

381 - 395 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,663 Posts
I've seen the same results with lower viscosity for PP, PUP, and Idemitsu Zepro Touring 5W-30, they all seem to be closer to 5W-20 after 4-6k of use.

Exactly. Brand doesn’t matter. Look through this entire thread and I think it would be difficult to come up with more than a few uoa’s of a GF5 5W30 that stayed in grade, even at 3k miles or less.

It’s normal for turbocharged Subaru’s and, with a Blackstone uoa, you can’t tell if the oil is shearing or if it’s fuel dilution since BS doesn’t actually test for it. They only estimate it based on an extrapolation of the flashpoint reading.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
I've seen the same results with lower viscosity for PP, PUP, and Idemitsu Zepro Touring 5W-30, they all seem to be closer to 5W-20 after 4-6k of use.
Speaking of this, I was considering giving the Idemitsu Zepro Touring a try...where did you see these results? I'm curious to see either a VOA or a UOA to see the additive package of this oil.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Thank you, that additive package looks about as good as any D1G2 oils I've seen. I will be using this oil next.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Back again. I haven't used the Idemitsu Zepro Touring in the '18 FXT, but I tried it in the '07 FXT and while i have no real complaints about the features of the oil, it was getting consumed...About 1/4 quart after 1500 miles. Switched to Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 for it and I'm at the same mileage on it at 1500 and it's still completely full.

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 sample submitted for third sample. Copper is way down now but based on my experience with the Amsoil in the '07 I switched to it for the '18 as well. Immediately the cold start knock due to oil filter drainback is gone...the Amsoil does a much better job of keeping a protective coating it would seem. Interested in seeing how the wear metals will look at the next sample.

·
SeasonedStalker
2017 XT Touring in CBS HT CVT
314 Posts
Aloha all! Just wanted to throw this report up here for everyone's viewing pleasure. For reference samples 2,3&4 are on mobile 1 5w30. Sample 5 is mobile 1 10w40. Sample 6 just came back from OAI and is QS ultimate durability 5W30 chosen based on the recommendation from the #5 ranking on the rat 540 oil testing blog. I'm very pleased with the QS and am stoked to be running it especially after acquiring the five quart jug for only $15 at Wally world.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,215 Posts
Perfect. Wearing in great. I also run the Ultimate Durability. I will take a sample. At 25K miles. As you see the engine was still wearing in for your previous samples. I have 18.5 K miles on my XT

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,042 Posts
Aloha all! Just wanted to throw this report up here for everyone's viewing pleasure. For reference samples 2,3&4 are on mobile 1 5w30. Sample 5 is mobile 1 10w40. Sample 6 just came back from OAI and is QS ultimate durability 5W30 chosen based on the recommendation from the #5 ranking on the rat 540 oil testing blog. I'm very pleased with the QS and am stoked to be running it especially after acquiring the five quart jug for only $15 at Wally world.
Lots of fuel dilution and TBN retention using QS is lower than all of the previous runs on Mobil 1 (not Mobile, btw) or M1. I've thought about reducing the OCI's in my '14 FXT down from 7,500; 5-6k might be more prudent. I guess I'll have to send out a sample from my next oil change for analysis.

Lots of Si - could be an additive. Do you have an aftermarket intake or drop-in filter?

Sodium appears to be an additive in many new formulas (well, not so new now); however, the fact that it jumps up to 28 ppm in sample number 4 using the same oil is odd. I also wonder where the Potassium is coming from in some of your samples.

That's not the only difference between run 3 and 4 - are you use you used the same M1 for both runs?

I usually disregard most wear numbers, except to use for trending purposes and spikes in unusual metals, such as lead, tin, silver, etc., which are typically zero. In this case, I'd expect your trend to stay as-is with QS if you keep on using it.

·
SeasonedStalker
314 Posts
Perfect. Wearing in great. I also run the Ultimate Durability. I will take a sample. At 25K miles. As you see the engine was still wearing in for your previous samples. I have 18.5 K miles on my XT
Still wearing in at 48k? When would I expect that to level out?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,215 Posts
My Bad. The "unit time" got me screwed up. Yea it surely should be worn in.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Lots of fuel dilution and TBN retention using QS is lower than all of the previous runs on Mobil 1 (not Mobile, btw) or M1. I've thought about reducing the OCI's in my '14 FXT down from 7,500; 5-6k might be more prudent. I guess I'll have to send out a sample from my next oil change for analysis.

Lots of Si - could be an additive. Do you have an aftermarket intake or drop-in filter?

Sodium appears to be an additive in many new formulas (well, not so new now); however, the fact that it jumps up to 28 ppm in sample number 4 using the same oil is odd. I also wonder where the Potassium is coming from in some of your samples.

That's not the only difference between run 3 and 4 - are you use you used the same M1 for both runs?

I usually disregard most wear numbers, except to use for trending purposes and spikes in unusual metals, such as lead, tin, silver, etc., which are typically zero. In this case, I'd expect your trend to stay as-is with QS if you keep on using it.
I'm most impressed with sample #2 with viscosity remaining a 30 grade after 6k miles and TBN was 4.56. Not much fuel dilution in that one although it was an estimate since viscosity was fine. I'm definitely not exceeding 5k in my OBXT running xW-20. :eek:

@Da More-ster I'm also curious what air filter you're running. Do you recall the different driving habits with the higher fuel dilution numbers? Did you only run M1 10W-40 for 120 miles? I presume the 6 quarts of make-up oil is not correct. Also presume unit time on samples 3 and 4 are not correct.

·
SeasonedStalker
314 Posts
I'm most impressed with sample #2 with viscosity remaining a 30 grade after 6k miles and TBN was 4.56. Not much fuel dilution in that one although it was an estimate since viscosity was fine. I'm definitely not exceeding 5k in my OBXT running xW-20. :eek:

@Da More-ster I'm also curious what air filter you're running. Do you recall the different driving habits with the higher fuel dilution numbers? Did you only run M1 10W-40 for 120 miles? I presume the 6 quarts of make-up oil is not correct. Also presume unit time on samples 3 and 4 are not correct.
Sample 2 was before I did my stage one tune. There are some clerical errors from Miss submissions on my part it's not always as clear as I would like it to be. The 120 was days on that oil and six quarts is what the sump was refilled with, actually 5.5 but only whole quart numbers are accepted. Those unit times are 28600 and 34300. I am using the AEM drop-in panel filter. Here is a VOA I found of the QSUD 5w-30 although I'm not 100% positive it is from the reformulation with the SN plus rating.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I would absolutely be running a higher HTHS oil with a tune as the viscosity will stay in grade even with that high fuel dilution. Either Rotella T6 MV 5W-30 or an ACEA C3 oil like Motul X-clean or Mobil 1 ESP. You're no longer stock so I wouldn't run the recommended Resource Conserving oil. I would also keep your intervals at 5k miles max. Notice you're starting to have an uptick in some of the wear metals.

Is that an AEM Dryflow? Usually silicon looks fine with those. An OEM air filter would probably bring it down a bit.

·
SeasonedStalker
314 Posts
Yes to the aem dry flow. Do you know about how often those drop in filters are supposed to be serviced? As far as ware metals go are you looking at the trend in chronological order? Sample 6 is the latest sample and only one on the qsud. If I cross reference from the VOA on the QSUD to my latest sample my iron is down 9ppm with Alum and nickel only up 1ppm.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yes to the aem dry flow. Do you know about how often those drop in filters are supposed to be serviced? As far as ware metals go are you looking at the trend in chronological order? Sample 6 is the latest sample and only one on the qsud. If I cross reference from the VOA on the QSUD to my latest sample my iron is down 9ppm with Alum and nickel only up 1ppm.
Check with AEM on the servicing. I ran a K&N early on and my silicon was similar to yours. After I went back to OEM my Si dropped to the single digits. Been using paper filers for about 160k miles.

Other voa’s may be useful to see a ballpark for anti-wear levels, but not as a comparison to your own uoa. The only way to truly compare your uoa is to submit a voa of the same oil that you put in your engine. And you’re comparing wear metals which should not even be present in a voa.

Aluminum is steadily increasing. Could just be “noise” or dirt getting past the filter. See @gathermewool ‘s wear metals comments.

381 - 395 of 395 Posts