Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is more of a warning to everyone about potential Eyesight issues. I purchased a new 2015 Forester with Eyesight, my first Subaru. I did not purchase the extended warranty. About one year ago the Eyesight in my Forester started to work intermittently. I assumed maybe the cameras needed adjusting or something until it stopped completely last fall. When the Eyesight goes it also takes with it the backup camera, cruise control and related systems. My Forester has less than 50K miles on it now, anyway I took it in and it turns out the cameras are bad and need to be replaced at a cost of 2400.00. I contacted Subaru and they offered me 700.00 toward the repair but here is what I consider to be problematic. The new cameras will only have a one year warranty. The prospect of potentially dishing out thousands of dollars every few years for the Eyesight, which I do like, has me thinking seriously about dumping my Forester. I have never been one to purchase extended warranties and for the most part it has been the right decision, but with cars getting more and more sophisticated I may reconsider in the future. So if you are buying a Subaru with Eyesight, you may want to consider the extended warranty which if I remember correctly costs in the 2-3 thousand range. I bought the Forester because of the high praises the brand receives for reliability, but this issue has left a bad taste in my mouth. I expect, these days, to be able to put 100K miles on a vehicle before needing any serious work. I have a 2005 Toyota Prius with 200K miles on it and I have not spent 2400.00 total in repairs. So i just wanted to post my experience to hopefully help others decide on the extended warranty if you have already decided on a Subaru.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear about your eyesight system. Agree on the electronics driving folks into an extended warranty. Ive never bought one until they added the additional electronic systems. Now I have extended warranties on both my 2017 XT and 2019 Foresters all because of the eyesight system and associated costs to replace them. I will add that there is no reason to pay 2-3000 dollars for one considering there are some good deals to be had via folks that support this forum. Search: "warranty price paid" to get a fair deal on an extended warranty. Not that you should have too! I understand your frustration completely and do feel a client should get a 100,000 miles or more out of a car before major repairs are to be expected.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yikes, mine seem to be working fine. Always beep in the garage as I approach the wall.

Wow, $2,400 for the camera?!? I guess you might use a credit card that can double the warranty. I guess the Finance Managers are having a great time selling extended warranty on these new cars with lots of electronics. I think I bought a 6 year extended warranty, so if it fails, hope it fails before next summer... how did you end up with a 5 year extended warranty?

BTW, I just got a recall notice for rear brake light switch. You might be getting one soon too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a Citi Mastercard that doubles the warranty, but it excludes automobiles among a few other things. I suspect that most credit cards do likewise.
I am sure they exclude automobile but EyeSight Camera is not an automobile. If I bought an aftermarket head unit, I would expect it to be covered despite it being installed in a car. Should ask to be sure.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would contact Consumer reports to share the experience with all documentation. They seem to be doing a good job at advocating consumers to the car manufacturers. Email them at talkingcars at icloud.com This email is for their Talking Cars podcast.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Will old fashioned cruise control still work? Mine can be switched from adaptive to normal. I'm guessing that normal cruise doesn't need eyesight? There's no way I'd spend that kind of coin replacing the cameras.

·
Registered
998 Posts
@ssgarfield - Dealers have a proclivity for replacing parts rather than diagnosing problems...
Why?
They can sell you a full retail price camera and install it without needing to find out why it isn't working.
They get a great markup on parts. It's good for them.

Someone on this forum had a dealer wanting to do the same camera replacement, until he noticed a small spider on the lens...
A puff of compressed air - All better.

There are camera component parts available, but of course replacing a faulty component would cost them time and not take as much of your money.

I would ask "what do you mean the camera is bad"? It's not a piece of fruit.
Have they tried a lens replacement at a considerably lower cost? Of course not. Likely they didn't even look. Circuit board can also be replaced.
Their truthful response would sound like "we don't know how to repair these complex electronic systems, so we just replace parts until the systems start working".
If service departments can't repair the cars, they shouldn't be installing the systems in the cars in the first place.

Don't take what a stealership tells you as gospel - They don't have your financial interests in mind.
Load of BS, IMHO.

Sadly, there is so much on the later models that are incredibly expensive to fix (replace) that I wouldn't buy a current model without an extended warranty either.
Based on the number of problems reported on this forum, I think I'm better off with what I have than a car plagued with glitchy electronics.

Be thankful you didn't lose your keys to a push button start Subaru. Your car gets towed to a dealer, disassembled, parts shipped to Japan, reprogrammed, and in only a month or so you are back on the road for only about a $3,000 bill. Yep.. Such a deal.. Those keys are sooooo annoying...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
DragonSubie7
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing