Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the intelligence built into the EyeSight cameras, how hard would it be to record imaging like a dashcam? And while at it, include the rearview camera as well? All this may have been covered, but aftermarket dash cam options, and their installation gymnastics, leave me unimpressed. Is this something Subaru, or any other manufacturer, would ever offer?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,517 Posts
I guess anything is possible, but the purpose of the Eyesight camera is to feed a computer relevant data for safety systems..
It's likely the image produced by the binocular cameras would not be what you would expect.
The rear camera might be a safer bet, but any modification is going to void your warranty.
There are some very effective low cost options you can pick up, so why put yourself at risk for warranty problems?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All good points, Dragon, but what I would suggest is that Subaru tap these resources and option them on their new cars. Subaru is pretty innovative with EyeSight and driver recognition, etc. I'm not looking for monitors or live video. Just a video capture that could be accessed via SD recorder.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,517 Posts
@ashbyg - I have a "feeling" that any capability of use of video in a car is intentionally limited due to the idea's propensity to stick to the legal department's wall of worry.
Case in point... Driver cuts you off... Wait - You've got video capture built into the car.. All we have to do is retrieve that while driving and oops...
Now if only Subaru had not recklessly included that feature, my spouse/child/parent would be alive today...
There are a lot of things you can wish for in improvements to a Subaru, but if you want to actually use features that aren't there yet, you can wait or do it yourself now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, gotcha. Then how about a factory dashcam option? I know, I know. I'm just trying to get out of having to do the install. Some day, some day. :cautious:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
29 Posts
I'd very much like a front camera at the same level above ground as the rear camera that optionally -- you could disable if you didn't want it -- would come on when you're moving forward at, say, less than 1 mph. Would really help with parking, especially parallel parking, and when pulling out of tight spaces.

Recording at high speeds through such a cam -- for say accident collection data -- is a whole different ball game altogether. Obviously, viewing footage would only be possible on the console while parked, or via an app or PC later.

I'd be thrilled with just the low speed parking aid version. It's the only thing I feel is missing on my otherwise phenomenal 2019 Touring!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,605 Posts
@ashbyg what is your Forester model year? I need that so a model year prefix can be added to your thread.

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
239 Posts
I’m unaware of any car except the Tesla that has a dash cam as a feature or option. I’ve purchased aftermarket dash cams for my last two cars (both Foresters). I’ve never needed them, but there have been enough close calls to make me glad I have them. They’re not especially expensive, and can be set up so they’re self-managing.

·
Registered
2019 White Forester, Replaced a 2009 Forester
17 Posts
Subaru is pretty innovative with Eye Sight and driver recognition, etc.

I will take one thing that you have said. Subaru being innovative with Eye Sight:

My wife and I were thinking about replacing her 2016 Forester with a 2020. But there was some recall work on her car that required more than one day to complete. So, we received a 2020 Legacy Premium as a loaner. All was fine until I got on the freeway and engaged the Eye Sight enabled cruise control.

I noticed that the car wasn’t responding the way my 2019 Forester does when I used my Eye Sight cruise control. Along with the Eye Sight the lane control was also activated, although I had turned it off in the new huge screen. If I drifted toward the left lane, the system took control of the driving and far a few seconds turned off the stirring wheel. And did the driving for me. ****! That was Scary! It took me a while to discover what was happening, the first couple of times, I thought I had run over an imperfect part of the pavement and the tires had moved me over. Man, this was disconcerting. Then I drove without cruise control and experimented. All seemed to be well. Later I turned it back on while driving on a two-lane road. All was OK until I came to a section of the road where there was a passing lane without a long lead in. As soon as I moved the wheel toward the right, the eye sight disengaged the stirring wheel and drove abruptly over to the right, gave me back control as soon as the car was within the two painted lines. That maneuver even scared my wife. She thought that I had made that rapid jump... P.S. My wife is an German ex Rally copilot. She can take anything as long as I don't damage the car. But that even startled her.

If this is the type of guidance on the new 2020 Forester, there is no way in xxxxx that we will get another Forester or maybe even any brand of new car.

I can see many problems with the new Eye Sight and self-driving cars that have not been addressed. What if there is a dog, cat, two-foot-deep pot hole or human being lying in the road that you will not be able to avoid… Let alone what about faded painted lanes… This is too bizarre! 5G will help your self-driving car function. But every road surface will need to be changed on all maps in cars as soon as something makes a pot hole or a truck drops mud on the surface that obliterates the lane markings, etc., etc.

Deliver me from helping electronics!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
611 Posts
First of all, just a clarification: NO manufacturer is making self-driving cars, except for use in controlled environments and testing. They DO make cars with driver assistant features. The true self-driving car is years away, except in very limited applications and environments.

Sounds to me from your description like you had lane-centering still turned “on”, and it can be disconcerting to drivers not familiar with the operation. Personally, I don’t like it and never use it.

That feature can be easily disabled using the steering wheel mounted controls on my Forester Touring.

But, since I didn’t witness what was happening, thats just a guess...

You do, however, raise a point that I’ve also raised, and that point is that vehicles are becoming so sophisticated and diverse in design, we may need to re-examine driver training and licensing requirements.

Commercial airline pilots are required to be specifically certified for each type of plane they fly. I can’t help but wonder if we need to move a little in that direction for driver licensing, or require manufacturers to do much more standardization in vehicle functionality and cockpit design.

·
Registered
2019 White Forester, Replaced a 2009 Forester
17 Posts
That feature can be easily disabled using the steering wheel mounted controls on my Forester Touring.
That feature can be easily disabled in the 2019, but not in the 2020. I had disabled it. But with the EyeSight cruise control activated, it turned Lane Control back on. My wife navigated, while I was driving, in the large screen and found that, Yes, Lane Control was indeed turned off....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts