Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Automatic
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in process of getting a possible 9 inches in the Peoria area. I was at Sams Club getting my annual winter 6 pack of de icing washer fluid and 50 lb. bag of ice melt this evening. So as I'm driving around with approx. 160 lbs. of ice melting goodies in the cargo area the Forester seemed to do even better than usual. I seemed to have more traction. I know this shouldn't have surprised me but I never really thought about adding weight to an already extremely capable foul weather vehicle. I just always associated adding more weight to rear wheel drive vehicles but it would make sense for the Forester as well since it uses all four wheels to drive the vehicle. Have any of the rest of you put extra weight in your Foresters in the winter??

·
Registered
67 Posts
Foresters are very light - I noticed this right away. Tradeoff is great MPG for an AWD vehicle. Looking underneath though, I wouldn't have objected if they would have gone a little beefier with the suspension and control arms. Had to drag mine out of a ditch yesterday and [email protected] if I could find a place to hook the chain.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
We are in process of getting a possible 9 inches in the Peoria area. I was at Sams Club getting my annual winter 6 pack of de icing washer fluid and 50 lb. bag of ice melt this evening. So as I'm driving around with approx. 160 lbs. of ice melting goodies in the cargo area the Forester seemed to do even better than usual. I seemed to have more traction. I know this shouldn't have surprised me but I never really thought about adding weight to an already extremely capable foul weather vehicle. I just always associated adding more weight to rear wheel drive vehicles but it would make sense for the Forester as well since it uses all four wheels to drive the vehicle. Have any of the rest of you put extra weight in your Foresters in the winter??
Funny you mention it, I've been watching a thread on so.org about ghostwalking issues with added weight in the back (I have no issues). I can't stop laughing reading through that thread as I've never heard of "ghostwalking", but maybe there's something to it (I mean, some people do believe in ghosts, right?). I guess I'm just wondering if any of the Foz owners experience anything similar? I would also think that adding weight should increase traction and provide better handling (it does in my OBW).

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Automatic
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny you mention it, I've been watching a thread on so.org about ghostwalking issues with added weight in the back (I have no issues). I can't stop laughing reading through that thread as I've never heard of "ghostwalking", but maybe there's something to it (I mean, some people do believe in ghosts, right?). I guess I'm just wondering if any of the Foz owners experience anything similar? I would also think that adding weight should increase traction and provide better handling (it does in my OBW).
I scanned some of the thread you linked to...weird. Seems like they just need to slow down for the conditions...lol I'm noticing the rear end getting a little more goofy than prior winters on my Forester. I know what that's about though...I'm about 5,000 miles from needing to replace my tires. I think that's why the increase of traction stands out more to me this year. It gave my rear tires more grip with what tread I do have left when I added the weight. So for now the ice melt and washer fluid are going to stay in the cargo area (don't need them quite yet...had a Sams / Walmart gift card so I was stocking up before quantities were more scarce).

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
I've had about 140 pounds back there all season, from tools and parts for my job. Still pretty squirrely with tires coming due for replacement. Oughta be two tons of fun if I take the stuff out of the back. :icon_eek: :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Those people in that thread are ridiculous. I attribute the "ghost walking" to Subie-Newbie syndrome.

None of my Subarus have done it, including my 09 OBXT. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say the OBXT is the best Subaru I've driven in the snow. My SF was AMAZING in the snow, but the OBXT JUST edges it out with all of the electrical gadgetry. When I am done having fun, I just leave TCS and VDC on and drive. Point-and-shoot.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,513 Posts
I noticed better traction (just a little) while I was loaded down with 3 fullsize guys and 8 suitcases, not to mention emergency gear and such. Still got 20 mpg with the car top carrier.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The problem with more weight is that you also have more momentum. More weight may give more "bite" to get around, but a good set of snow tires do too. The lighter weight makes it easier to pull out of a slide, and also reduces the amount of brake induced slide. Generally makes it more "nimble" overall.

Also, weight in the back will make the rear end come around more, which depending on your driving style might be nice. I usually put all my snow/offroad equipment in the rear seat footwells (mostly just so I don't have all that junk flying aorund when i'm sideways though).

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
The problem with more weight is that you also have more momentum. More weight may give more "bite" to get around, but a good set of snow tires do too. The lighter weight makes it easier to pull out of a slide, and also reduces the amount of brake induced slide. Generally makes it more "nimble" overall.

Also, weight in the back will make the rear end come around more, which depending on your driving style might be nice. I usually put all my snow/offroad equipment in the rear seat footwells (mostly just so I don't have all that junk flying aorund when i'm sideways though).
I keep all my stuff there too! I can't stand having stuff flying around, especially on my drifting adventures. I have the all weather mats there too and they seem to keep my stuff in place quite nicely.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Lawl, that thread is a perfect example of why I don't like So_Org. "My car slides and floats around on the freeway when it's icy, and people pass me, and it makes me feel inferior, and I don't like it..."

:lol:

I haven't had the issue on my OBW either. :shrug:

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
When I know we are getting snow (like last night) I make it a point to fill my gas tank so I have more weight. My best guess is a full tank of cold gasoline is about 100 lbs (@15.9 USG) and the weight is in a great spot. We had some huge drifts this AM and I was a little nervous a few times but made it through.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Premium
7 Posts
^^^ Threre's a hook on the rear under the bumper that is extremely easy to access and hook onto... Dunno about the front though.
See my Avatar. The chain's a guy brought with his john deer couldn't get a good catch, the hook would have had been to removed and i had to hold untill we had enough tension from the tractor. I'll be buying larger hooks/loops to add to the forester if I plan on jackassing around to the point of being stuck again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts