Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in basically having an extra set of low beam headlights mounted behind grill above front bumper level. Most aftermarket lights say "off road use only". Has anyone researched this and could recommmend options approved for "on road" use?

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Use a set of "fog lights" since they do not have a very focused beam.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
The actual legal question depends on the laws in your area. Here in BC they are as follows:

Auxiliary lights can be mounted and used as long as they are 25 cm (1') above the ground and at or below the center-line of the OEM headlights. Also they must be wired with relays that prevent them from coming on unless the appropriate headlight is on, ie fog lights and low beam; driving lights and high beam.

Your laws may be and probably are different.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx for the info. i think i'm OK here in NC so long as I don't wire any extra lights directly to the headlight circuit.

after that i basically want an extra set of lights, probably small-ish fogs to go behind grill above bumper. i don't want to spend a bunch of $ but I did want to try and get some with enough lens quality or approved for "on road" use that they wouldn't present problems for other drivers or look strange enough to get pulled over.

·
Registered
99 Forester S
673 Posts
thx for the info. i think i'm OK here in NC so long as I don't wire any extra lights directly to the headlight circuit.

after that i basically want an extra set of lights, probably small-ish fogs to go behind grill above bumper. i don't want to spend a bunch of $ but I did want to try and get some with enough lens quality or approved for "on road" use that they wouldn't present problems for other drivers or look strange enough to get pulled over.
I bought some Hella 500's from a member here on the boards and put them up front. I use them mostly in the rain, snow or fog. Occasionally, I'll light them up at night but I have never been pulled over for the lights being on. I believe they even say off road use only.

Also, I rarely use them in heavy traffic as to not call any unwanted attention. They are wired on a separate switch so I can turn them on or off separately.

Here are some photos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts