Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the official release date for the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 arrives next week, so I'm getting pretty close to the "head unit replacement" project for my 06 FXT.

I ordered my FXT with the factory rear window plastic "dust deflector" accessory. I don't know whether it actually deflects any duct, but it definitely makes the car easier to spot in parking lots full of similar-looking SUVs.

The semi-transparent smoke color of the dust deflector makes me think that it might be an ideal mounting spot for a small (pack of Wrigely's gum-sized) external cellular antenna. I'm looking for a "stealthy" installation spot so that thieves are not drawn, like moths to a flame, to the FXT.

Has anyone tried routing small-diameter (similar to a deskop mouse cord) coaxial cable through the factory rubber cable buffer tube in the top of the rear hatch assembly?

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
This may not help but... I have a amateur radio antenna mounted on my hatch. The cable goes down the side of the hatch and in to the car through the bottom rubber. The wire goes over the rubber but under the plastic piece. It's been dry through heavy storms.

jkd said:
Well, the official release date for the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 arrives next week, so I'm getting pretty close to the "head unit replacement" project for my 06 FXT.

I ordered my FXT with the factory rear window plastic "dust deflector" accessory. I don't know whether it actually deflects any duct, but it definitely makes the car easier to spot in parking lots full of similar-looking SUVs.

The semi-transparent smoke color of the dust deflector makes me think that it might be an ideal mounting spot for a small (pack of Wrigely's gum-sized) external cellular antenna. I'm looking for a "stealthy" installation spot so that thieves are not drawn, like moths to a flame, to the FXT.

Has anyone tried routing small-diameter (similar to a deskop mouse cord) coaxial cable through the facgtory rubber cable buffer tube in the top of the rear hatch assembly?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts