Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Manual
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just bought a 2010 Forester and got the extended warranty. Vehicle has 50k on it and was wandering if anyone has had any issues from 50k to 100k that would make it worth the extra $1200? Or should I cancel it?
Thanks
Jason

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
well, I bought an 09 last year and the turbo went out and caused two spun rod bearings

since it was under 60K and just under 5 years it was replaced under warranty

problem is you have no idea of the maintenance history of the vehicle and if the prior owner(s) didn't maintain the oil properly, you run the risk of the same thing

for $1200 I'd get it if you plan on driving it for a few more years

oh, if it's not a turbo model then I probably wouldn't get it

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

In general, I'm not a fan of extended warranties. Concerns include what's covered (and what's not), deductibles, and your obligations, such as scheduled maintenance.

Although the original basic warranty has expired, the original powertrain warranty is good until 60K miles or 60 months after original purchase. Some emissions items are covered by the Federal Emissions Warranty (8 years / 80K miles), and, if your car is a PZEV model in a PZEV state, many more emissions items may be covered for 15 years or 150K miles.

There are many comments on E/W -- both pro and con -- on the forum. Just type "extended warranty" in the Google Custem Search box above, hit Search, grab several of your favorite adult beverages, and read away!

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
What exactly are the differences between the extended warranty and a CPO warranty? Or is that just too broad of a question...

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
30 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

In general, I'm not a fan of extended warranties. Concerns include what's covered (and what's not), deductibles, and your obligations, such as scheduled maintenance.

Although the original basic warranty has expired, the original powertrain warranty is good until 60K miles or 60 months after original purchase. Some emissions items are covered by the Federal Emissions Warranty (8 years / 80K miles), and, if your car is a PZEV model in a PZEV state, many more emissions items may be covered for 15 years or 150K miles.

There are many comments on E/W -- both pro and con -- on the forum. Just type "extended warranty" in the Google Custem Search box above, hit Search, grab several of your favorite adult beverages, and read away!

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
CPO is just the powertrain usually. Extended, like the Gold, Subaru sells would cover everything.

·
Registered
2011 Forester I Auto
116 Posts
So just bought a 2010 Forester and got the extended warranty. Vehicle has 50k on it and was wandering if anyone has had any issues from 50k to 100k that would make it worth the extra $1200? Or should I cancel it?
Thanks
Jason
The warranty is merely a piece of mind that covers the unknowns inherent in a used car. If you knew the original owner or worked at the dealer and knew the vehicle was perfectly serviced and maintained prior to your ownership, then you can choose to rely on the known quality and longevity of the vehicle.

I added the extended warranty when I purchased my '11 with 9450 miles on it this past August. It still has 4 mos left on the original warranty, but I talked down the dealer asking price by purchasing the extended warranty (for $1050), so felt it was all around a good deal. And I have piece of mind out to 5 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts