Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 598 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this thread was worth starting. I'm about to purchase a new XT and curious what everyone has paid for their extended warranty. Do you think that it's worth it?

Who provides the warranty and are there any deductibles?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dealer in LA area is charging $2215, for 7 year/70,000 mile Gold Plus with $0 deductible, including the $295 turbo surcharge.

Maintenance plan, for 3 years/36,000 miles for $495, supposedly $200 off, if purchased with the Gold Plus Added Security warranty and using AAA discount. Note that Subaru is providing the first 2 years of the maintenance plan, free, in certain geographical locations.

So, a total of $2710, for 3/36 maintenance and 7/70 Gold Plus ($0 deductible).

That's $150 more than the list price from Planet Subaru, with no idea what Planet charges for the maintenance portion.

I've signed my purchase agreement, but have not paid, or picked up vehicle, as there were a couple of issues to be taken care of before delivery. There is no "cooling off" period, but since I haven't taken delivery, I may be still able to cancel my extended/maintenance warranties. Thanks for the link, securityguy!

Think I'll give Planet a call in the morning, to see if I can sweeten my cost, a little.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
@pukahead...$2215 is a HORRIBLE price for that warranty. List price from Subaru is $1770 + $295 for a turbo = $2065 so they are even charging you MORE than list price??? This is without Planet Subaru's quote as the prices listed on their site are RETAIL and have not yet been discounted you need to call to get their price which may be $300+ cheaper than retail saving you over $500 more.

As for maintenance plans...my suggestion is not to buy and you really won't wave any money buy purchasing it. 6 oil change and tire rotations cost me about $360. Add in a few filters that you can change yourself for another $50. If you like changing oil yourself, get a Fumoto valve and your per oil change cost drops to about $30. The oil filters on top so very simple to do an OC on these cars.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was quoted 985+295+5.5% tax for 7yr/70k/$0 back in January. If you want the name of the dealer, shoot me a pm. That must be right at invoice/cost because a few dealers quoted me very similar (within ~50$) prices.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was quoted 985+295+5.5% tax for 7yr/70k/$0 back in January. If you want the name of the dealer, shoot me a pm. That must be right at invoice/cost because a few dealers quoted me very similar (within ~50$) prices.
Is this for the Gold Plus, or the Classic Plan? This one seems way out in left field, if it's for the Gold Plus.

Anyway, I was able to get a quote from Planet and was able to renegotiate my deal. Looks like dealers are really all over the place, on supposed "invoice" cost. That goes for the Maintenance plans, too, but they seem to have less wiggle room for this. Geographic price differences seem to come into play. Anyway, thanks, securityguy, I got extremely close to Planet's price, but stuck with my local dealer, due to some other reasons. Now I can dump some of the money I saved into some other accessories...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI, just got off the phone with Dave at planet Subaru and the quote was 1825 quote 7year/100k gold 0 ded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For which vehicle?
Is it the gold plan with 0 deductible?
Which dealer was it?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Sorry Merek but I don't buy it...a 7/70 with $0 for a Gold Plus without the turbo is $1770 list so you'd be lucky to save, at most $300-$400. I'll believe it when I see it on a buyers order.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry Merek but I don't buy it...a 7/70 with $0 for a Gold Plus without the turbo is $1770 list so you'd be lucky to save, at most $300-$400. I'll believe it when I see it on a buyers order.
This is what I received back in January. Another dealer quoted me $1290 (though I don't think that included tax). It is possible that prices have changed since January though.

Thank you for your email. As long as your new Forester is within it's 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty, you can purchase a Subaru Gold Plus Added Security plan from any dealer.

For the 7/70 plan with a $0 deductible on your Forester XT, here is the breakdown and price:

$985: Warranty Cost
$295: Surcharge for turbo engine
$70.40: Maine sales tax (@ 5.5%)

Your total price for this warranty is $1,350.40.

To move forward, I need the year, make, model, VIN number and current miles on your vehicle. I will also need your full name, mailing address, and telephone number.

After that, a quick phone call so I can get your credit card information and we're all set. Any transaction done before 4 pm eastern standard time Monday through Friday, and I can have it processed immediately and the documents in your email inbox in about 20 minutes. I will also mail you the original documents and your credit card receipt.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It's plausible Merek got the warranty at this price. OEM extended warranties can have a 100% markup, so the dealer still had a 10% margin on dealer cost if this was the case. I started at a 55% of retail cost offer when I was considering a gold, zero deductible 7/100 from my dealer and the F&I lady did not throw me out of her office. I decided not to buy one, electing to wait a year to see what broke.

I had an M Class a decade ago and literally recouped 15x my warranty cost with a Mercedes OEM Extended warranty. I got the warranty for about half retail, and that POS Benz was in the shop quite a bit the first year and for years afterwards. The dealership made out also in factory reimbursed warranty claims (28k worth in retail costs according to the very happy dealer service manager) it was a win-win for both of us.

For a Benz or Bimmer owner OEM extended warranties can be a wise buy if purchased at or near dealer cost. Consumer Reports has a 2014 article that states Subaru owners were the least likely to use their extended warranty. Here is a link, not sure if you have to be a subscriber to read it:

Extended Car Warranties: An Expensive Gamble - Consumer Reports

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Just got what I think is a great price for a service contract for my 2.5 2017.
$888 for 42k miles at 6k intervals. This also includes a $500 loyalty certificate to be used for the next purchase or lease.
Manchester Subaru. Matthew Geiger (603) 668 2411 x 213.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's $127 oil changes, unless it's going to cover other things?

I would think it would cover all maintenance issues up to 42k -- ie, fluids, tire rotations, etc.

though in general these plans seem to be a rip off....

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I would think it would cover all maintenance issues up to 42k -- ie, fluids, tire rotations, etc.

though in general these plans seem to be a rip off....
That is correct, all scheduled maintenance.
Oil change alone runs $75 in my area & they will stick you with some no name generic oil filter & then, of course, there is a $500 coupon which I'm almost certainly going to use.
So, it may not be a rip off after all.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Are you over-paying??? You absolutely are my friend!!! 7 oil changes at $55 (buy your own oil at Walmart for <$25 and let the dealer supply the filter and labor). Rotations are, at most $20. This alone would equate to $525 in service. Engine air filter is about $25...3 cabin air filter changes at about another $25 each every 12K miles is $75. Now were at about than $625. If they have another $263 worth of "stuff" they're going to do based on your current mileage, may not are a bad deal but folks way over pay for their services as it appears you are as well. The only fluids that get changed is brake at 30K which shouldn't be more than $100. There are no other services besides oil change, tire rotate, cabin air filters and brake fluid up to 42K miles. This would put your total at $725. You do the math but I would cancel your plan and pay as you go. My estimate is that you'll save over $150 by not buying the plan.

2017 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

·
Registered
14 Posts
I see people letting the dealers soak them on oil changes, and others DIY. Is there no in between? My last 3 vehicles were either Nissan or Honda. In both cases I brought my own oil and even filter to the dealer. They even did all the courtesy safety checks and typically only charged me $10 - 20. This was great. I did not have to deal with the used oil, etc. (And as I age the knees are less willing to bend).

Only caveat, if it is an Acura bring it to a Honda dealer. If an Infiniti bring it to a Nissan dealer. Of course, with Subies you don't have to deal with more than a one tier dealership.

As far as extended warranties, might consider for some, but very few is any Asian based vehicles. Spent a lot time thinking about getting one, but it would not have helped much. Better than spending the money for one.

German cars, more likely I would. Several domestics too, sad to say.

1 - 20 of 598 Posts
About this Discussion
597 Replies
167 Participants
ForesterBill
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing