Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Lineartronic CVT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I picked up a new 2014 Forester 2.5i Touring last month and love it so far! It was my first car-buying experience, so I did a lot of research and got a great deal, but I was not prepared for the extended warranty options.

I wasn't completely opposed to the idea of the extended warranty, but the finance guy that I was working with told me that I wouldn't be able to get a warranty through SoA unless I did it right there when purchasing the vehicle (an obvious lie that I didn't realize until after the fact). Fortunately, I'm still within my 30 days of purchase so I can get a full refund less a $25 cancellation fee. I'm going in tomorrow to talk with them about getting the refund. I'm upset that they weren't forthright with me, but I'm not bitter; I'll just consider this a $25 life lesson about doing more thorough research :icon_wink:.

Anyways, I have a few questions regarding this:
1. Will I still be able to have the 3 year / 36k mile warranty (plus the other basic warranties: powertrain, etc.) even if I cancel this extended warranty?
2. With respect to the above, what paperwork (if any) do I need from them to verify that my factory warranty is still valid and intact?
3. Are there any pitfalls or common mistakes that I should know when cancelling the warranty?

Thank you very much! This is my first post, but I look forward to joining this community and being a part of the forum!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XTP CVT
184 Posts
Hi All!

I picked up a new 2014 Forester 2.5i Touring last month and love it so far! It was my first car-buying experience, so I did a lot of research and got a great deal, but I was not prepared for the extended warranty options.

I wasn't completely opposed to the idea of the extended warranty, but the finance guy that I was working with told me that I wouldn't be able to get a warranty through SoA unless I did it right there when purchasing the vehicle (an obvious lie that I didn't realize until after the fact). Fortunately, I'm still within my 30 days of purchase so I can get a full refund less a $25 cancellation fee. I'm going in tomorrow to talk with them about getting the refund. I'm upset that they weren't forthright with me, but I'm not bitter; I'll just consider this a $25 life lesson about doing more thorough research :icon_wink:.

Anyways, I have a few questions regarding this:
1. Will I still be able to have the 3 year / 36k mile warranty (plus the other basic warranties: powertrain, etc.) even if I cancel this extended warranty?
2. With respect to the above, what paperwork (if any) do I need from them to verify that my factory warranty is still valid and intact?
3. Are there any pitfalls or common mistakes that I should know when cancelling the warranty?

Thank you very much! This is my first post, but I look forward to joining this community and being a part of the forum!
1. yes, you will still have your factory warranty 3 year/36k, but beyond that everything is out of pocket
2. I don't think you need any paper work from them, they will still fix anything before the factory warranty runs out and whatever is cover within the time frame.
3.Remember you have the new model year forester and anything can go wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. yes, you will still have your factory warranty 3 year/36k, but beyond that everything is out of pocket
2. I don't think you need any paper work from them, they will still fix anything before the factory warranty runs out and whatever is cover within the time frame.
3.Remember you have the new model year forester and anything can go wrong.
Thanks for your reply!

I definitely realize the risks with owning a new model year vehicle. My issue is that the extended warranty I purchased started at the time of purchase (effectively getting rid of the factory warranty) and was overpriced. Like I said, I'm not opposed to the idea of the extended warranty, but I don't drive the car too hard and can always make the decision to extend my warranty towards the end of the factory warranty.

·
Banned
2014 XT CVT
116 Posts
Welcome aboard.
You can always buy an extended warranty before the 3years/36K miles expired.
The stealerships are shady, most of them.

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome aboard.
You can always buy an extended warranty before the 3years/36K miles expired.
The stealerships are shady, most of them.

Enjoy your new ride.
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm just happy that I can reverse the decision without much of a loss on my end. I am disappointed that he blatantly lied to me, but I should have known better. Such is life. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
239 Posts
I also purchased a 2014 Forester 2.5i Touring a few weeks ago. I did not purchase any extended warranties through the Dealer at this point. The Finance Manager did advise I had 30 days to decide. The Gold Warranty sounds like a decent plan, but it is pricey in my opinion. I understand there is room for negotiation with the warranty prices with some dealers?? It is usually a roll of the dice, should I get an extended warranty or not??

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
I also purchased a 2014 Forester 2.5i Touring a few weeks ago. I did not purchase any extended warranties through the Dealer at this point. The Finance Manager did advise I had 30 days to decide. The Gold Warranty sounds like a decent plan, but it is pricey in my opinion. I understand there is room for negotiation with the warranty prices with some dealers?? It is usually a roll of the dice, should I get an extended warranty or not??
If you shop around hard enough, you should be able to find some pretty substantial warranty discounts.

Last I looked, you could decide on a SOA extended warranty anytime within your 3/36.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
180 Posts
I've got an extended warranty during purchase as well. I like driving cars for 10 years or so. My other car (Lincoln Town Car) is 17 years old now and still in pristine condition- will never sell it! So it was no brainer for me and I got 10year/100K. I think if you like keeping your car for many years I would say buy warranty. But on other hand, if you plan to change it within 4-5 years then don't bother.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,921 Posts
And bear in mind you can go to any dealer (online) for a warrant.

·
Lifer
2015 Forester CVT
526 Posts
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm just happy that I can reverse the decision without much of a loss on my end. I am disappointed that he blatantly lied to me, but I should have known better. Such is life. :icon_wink:
Since they lied to you, get ALL your money back. No sense in funding crooks.

Consumer Reports recommends skipping the extended warranty and putting the cost of the warranty into a savings account. The probability is that you will be money ahead.

·
Premium Member
14,921 Posts
Consumer Reports recommends skipping the extended warranty and putting the cost of the warranty into a savings account. The probability is that you will be money ahead.
Taking probability at face value..all insurance is statistically a loser bc more is taken than paid out. then again...it is insurance. You pay for peace of mind and as a hedge against high expenses. The two times I bought it I was way ahead on one and about 150 buck behind on the other. Well worth it.

Obviously don't buy it on items costing say less than $1000 or so.

And Consumer Reports lolololol...a joke in my experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Since they lied to you, get ALL your money back. No sense in funding crooks.

Just went to the dealership today. Got a 100% refund (purchased the vehicle on 10/21) and there was no mention of the $25 fee. The had me fill out a simple form for the cancellation and said that the full total of the warranty will be applied on the principal of the loan (which makes sense since the warranty was financed) within 30-45 days. Also, I still get the 36k/3yr. factory warranty (along with the powertrain, seatbelt, and other factory warranties).

I imagine that it helped that I spoke with the head of finance directly since my finance manager was not in the office, although I would have loved to have confronted my finance manager. I suppose his loss of commission will be retribution enough for his blatant lie.

Just figured I'd update the thread in case anyone else was ever in a similar situation.

·
Registered
2015 WRX Base 6MT
90 Posts
Just went to the dealership today. Got a 100% refund (purchased the vehicle on 10/21) and there was no mention of the $25 fee. The had me fill out a simple form for the cancellation and said that the full total of the warranty will be applied on the principal of the loan (which makes sense since the warranty was financed) within 30-45 days. Also, I still get the 36k/3yr. factory warranty (along with the powertrain, seatbelt, and other factory warranties).

I imagine that it helped that I spoke with the head of finance directly since my finance manager was not in the office, although I would have loved to have confronted my finance manager. I suppose his loss of commission will be retribution enough for his blatant lie.

Just figured I'd update the thread in case anyone else was ever in a similar situation.
I had a similar issue myself. I got sold on the warrantee (actually a poope extended service plan) based off a blatent lie about getting 2% better interest rate on my loan. Seemed a little fishy, but it went along with it, as it only cost me $360 over the life of my loan (with the interest rate drop).

After I got the service plan booklet in the mail, I decided to take it back and get my money returned. They put it towards the principal of my loan and gave me no trouble about it. Even dealt with the same finance gent. Worked out well, I should be about 4 months ahead on my loan now.

They wanted $1390 for a 7yr/70,000 mile service plan, not a big extension on the factory warrantee I might add. It also had a lovely $100 deductible, and had some nice clauses that allowed them to get out of just about any repair, and do a poope job on any they did do without anything you can do about it.

I still have the booklet, and plan to scan it and upload it on here for all to see when I get access to a scanner. Hopefully I can save a few others some hassle!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a similar issue myself. I got sold on the warrantee (actually a poope extended service plan) based off a blatent lie about getting 2% better interest rate on my loan. Seemed a little fishy, but it went along with it, as it only cost me $360 over the life of my loan (with the interest rate drop).

After I got the service plan booklet in the mail, I decided to take it back and get my money returned. They put it towards the principal of my loan and gave me no trouble about it. Even dealt with the same finance gent. Worked out well, I should be about 4 months ahead on my loan now.

They wanted $1390 for a 7yr/70,000 mile service plan, not a big extension on the factory warrantee I might add. It also had a lovely $100 deductible, and had some nice clauses that allowed them to get out of just about any repair, and do a poope job on any they did do without anything you can do about it.

I still have the booklet, and plan to scan it and upload it on here for all to see when I get access to a scanner. Hopefully I can save a few others some hassle!
Good for you! Mine was the $0 deductible Gold Plus one, so it was a bit more expensive, and I made the same decision to cancel when I got the booklet in the mail.

I agree with you, though. Way too many reasons for them to deny the repairs. Mine also came with roadside assistance and some other small benefits, but nothing that my insurance policy and AmEx card couldn't provide me.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
239 Posts
I didn't buy the extended warranty. The Gold Plan is nice with the zero deductible aspect, but I know the plan can be pricey. I understand the extended Gold Plan price various from dealer to dealer and I hear there is room for negotiation with dealers when purchasing the plan.

·
Premium Member
14,921 Posts
Way too many reasons for them to deny the repairs .
I had a number of repairs on both my extended warranties (Nissan and Ford Ranger). Never any questions asked about what maintenance I had done.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
Extended warranties by their nature are a crap shoot. Of all the cars and all the extended warranties I've purchased I've only ever lost money on one, and that was my 2004 XT.

We came out substantially ahead on my wife's 03 and 08 OBW.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
77 Posts
My dealer included lifetime powertrain extension for original owner "free". Decided against any extended warranty in the short term until I get a feel for how reliable my particular vehicle will be, and also based on what is posted here. Figured I have 3 years to make that decision (and for me it would just be extending the bumper-to-bumper portion).

My last vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee) performed very well and only needed repairs for window motors (2), sensors, and multiple gasket replacements during its 10th and 11th year of ownership...that out of pocket totaled around $3200

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
239 Posts
My dealer included free life time oil and filter changes. I have the first oil change due in about 6900 miles or in mid May 2014, WCF. If I had to pay for the required synthetic oil and filter change(s), it is $80.00 at my dealer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts