Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

Just purchased a brand new 2010 Forester Limited. Also purchased the additional Subaru warranty to extend the basic warranty to 6 years/80,000 miles (also included free regular maintenance for 24,000 miles -- oil changes, tune ups). Cost was $1925.

Having buyer's remorse about the dollars. Dealer will let me cancel and get a refund.

I'm curious what folks here think about the pricey warranty. My first instinct was, "It's a Subaru...why would I need that?", but went for it anyway.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,233 Posts
That's way too expensive. Cancel it and look for a better deal. You can negotiate the prices of dealer warranties. You probably have 5 business days to cancel.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Friends,

Just purchased a brand new 2010 Forester Limited. Also purchased the additional Subaru warranty to extend the basic warranty to 6 years/80,000 miles (also included free regular maintenance for 24,000 miles -- oil changes, tune ups). Cost was $1925.

Having buyer's remorse about the dollars. Dealer will let me cancel and get a refund.

I'm curious what folks here think about the pricey warranty. My first instinct was, "It's a Subaru...why would I need that?", but went for it anyway.

Thanks!
I bought mine directly from Subaru, and it was a lot cheaper. When I bought my Forester i decided not to buy the expended warranty at the dealer, simply because it's more expensive. The only way the warranty you purchased would be a good one, is if the dealer would take care of the scheduled maintenance free of charge (you would have to pay for oil, filters, and a few other things, but not the work). I believe that the Subaru extended warranties are sold through their headquarters in NJ.

My coworkers have extended warranties for their GM trucks, and the warranties cover all the labor hours and maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester 2.5 X prem
7 Posts
I would definitely shop around, call every state if you have to, even dealerships within the states. I originally bought the extended warranty from my dealer. I didn't have a chance to research it prior to picking up the car, since it came in a month early. When I got home I went straight to this forum and came to realize he was way over priced. $1943 for a "classic" 7/70K $0 deductible - not the bumper to bumper we had discussed and agreed upon. Needless to say I canceled with them. I've yet to purchase it since I am waiting for SUBARU to send me the letter to see what price they are offering this for, else I will go back to calling the states to get the best rate. It doesn't matter where u buy it from as long as it's from SOA. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2010 Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow -- thanks Everyone! I know what I have to do now... get rid of it and find a better deal.

I appreciate the responses and advice very much!

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
Also purchased the additional Subaru warranty to extend the basic warranty to 6 years/80,000 miles
A couple of things to consider:

1) The basic warranty is good for 36 months / 36K miles
2) The powertrain warranty covers the following parts for 60 months / 60K miles:

Powertrain Limited Warranty

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE for all models is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Subject to the exclusions listed in this warranty, it covers the major powertrain components listed below.

Powertrain Coverage Components

Engine
Engine block and all internal parts
Cylinder heads and valve trains
Oil pump, oil pan
Timing belts or gears and cover
Water pump
Flywheel
Intake and exhaust manifolds
Oil seals and gaskets

Transaxle and Differential

Transaxle case and internal parts
Torque converter
Electronic transmission control unit
Seals and gaskets
Axle shafts & constant velocity joints [except boots]**
Propeller shaft
Wheel bearings
3) Depending on where you live, various emission control system pieces and parts are warranted for between 3 years / 36 K miles and 15 years / 150K miles.
4) What does the "extended warranty" buy beyond the above, and what are the exclusions and/or deductibles?

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
448 Posts
You can do much, much better on an extended warranty, especially because your vehicle is new/low miles.
If I were you, I'd start negotiating at $700 and take it from there.

·
Registered
2010 Forester(sold 11/12) Manual
49 Posts
Friends,

Thanks!
Having just been through the experience (yesterday!) of having to fight off the dealer's hard-sell finance guy who had every high margin service item to lighten my wallet with (lo-jack, paint protection, service and maintenance plans), I understand why these things get sold.

It was about (my recollection isn't great...don't know what I had for dinner last night) $1200 for paid maintenance through 60K, and about $1800 for an extended warranty to 120K.

It reminded me why I dislike buying a new car so much. Almost had to leave. I even spoke what you said...if this is a good car why do I have to give you another couple grand to ensure that it runs?

Others have left some good tips in this thread. I think I'll check them out too!

Best to you...

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
finance manager asked me how long do i plan to keep my foz and i told him 'for a long time or maybe 5 years, depends on the newer subaru models if i want to trade in or not'. he offered this extended warranty but i promptly declined. he didn't really pushed for it. i told him i'll do some research about it first and see if i really NEED it. i asked him if i can purchase it afterwards, he said i can. my bad tho for not asking/remembering their price.

btw he also mentioned that if i dont use it, it can be refunded???? enlighten a noob pls.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
I sell them, I can tell you what a fair price is when I get to work tomorrow. Shoot me a PM to remind me in case I forget.

But yes, you can cancel it and get a pro-rated amount back at any time.

The warranty itself, assuming you got the Subaru Added Security Gold plan, is excellent, but not if you over-pay.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Auto
68 Posts
I'm waiting for my 2010 FXT Limited to come in and then I can finalize my deal. Question about the warranty. Dealer is offering me the Gold Extended Warranty 6/60k $100 deductible for $872. How does that sound? Thanks for the advice! Mike

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium
1 Posts
Just bought a 2010 forester premium with 7k on it from Irvine Subaru tonight for the wife. I went in to the finance guys office with no plans to buy any kind of extended warranty. This being the fourth subaru i have owned i have been down this road before. Right off the bat he tells us he would give us the 7 year 100k with a $50 deductible for 760 bux. This is the gold plan mind you, so i had to really think about it. I mean this offer was the best i have heard yet. Knowing many other suby owners and surfing the net I have never heard of a plan this low. So i sat there with my wife, who mind you I told before we walked in there that we would not even think about purchasing a extended plan no matter what. Well i did it. I mean for that kind of deal I could i pass that up? Just had to put my two cents in.

By the way anyone looking to buy a subaru in southern cali, go to Irvine Subaru. Again i have purchased four of them at this point along with many other cars from dealers and this was by far the best experience i have had to date. Got a great deal, and it was smooth and fast from start to finish.

·
Registered
2011 XT
1 Posts
Extended waranty

Just purchased a 2011 XT, certified used, with 1010 miles, and purchased a 6 year / 100k miles / $50 deduct Gold plan for $600.

·
Registered
2010 forester auto
1 Posts
extended warranty for my 2010 forester with 34K miles

Hello,

I contacted a few dealership (4) in Oregon , best price was

5yr/100k,$1520 0 deductible,gold plus
6yr/100k,$1612 0 deductible,gold plus

I'm reading from this thread that it is overprice.
Any recommendation on where I could gate a lower rate?
Thank you.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium 4EAT
27 Posts
I didn't buy the extended warranty on my new '11 Foz. It doesn't make sense to me, at all. You have a 3 year - 36,000 mile Bumper To Bumper warranty & a 60,000 mile power train warranty. They wanted $1250 (started higher than that!) for basically another 20,000 mile warranty (making it 6 year - 80,000 miles.) Plus, I live in NJ & PZEV is required. That gives me 15 years - 150,000 mile warranty on the emission control system. I asked what else do you get for your money, they said it extends the Road Side Assistance to 80,000 miles. I've had Road Side Assistance continuously since 1998 & never once used it. I've had flats & changed the tire. I've never ran out of gas, (I'm pushing 60 & I don't plan to start now), I don't lock my keys in the car. To me, the extra 20,000 miles isn't worth $1250. If I think I'm gonna have trouble, I'll trade it in before the 60,000 miles is up.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium 4EAT
27 Posts
Something else that I just thought of. The warranty doesn't cover maintenance items (at least largely.) Most cars, especially Subarus, probably make well over 80,000 miles without problems, other than maintenance items. If you change the fluids, filters, brake pads, etc. when you should, you probably will be driving your car long after the 80,000 miles. If you don't, the car will die young & won't be covered by that warranty, anyway. I choose to self-insure the additional 20,000 miles. I know that I'll never have a car that anyone can say wasn't maintained properly.

I gotta say that I'm an electronics technician by trade. I never buy extended warranties on TV's, computers, radios or appliances. If one of those units die, I just buy a new one. Chances are the new one has more bells and whistles than the old & since a lot of times the warranty price is 1/3 to 1/2 of a new one, I'm probably ahead of the game.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts