Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed an exposed air filter behind the opened glove compartment in my '09. I also saw leaves/propellers and other small debris collected on top of the filter. I'm assuming that this is the cabin air filter but how do I clean it and is there any cause for concern here? Just thought it odd to actually see a vehicle component out in the open...never noticed anything like that in past vehicles that I've owned!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
That is indeed the cabin filter, subject of many, many posts here. But it's supposed to slide in all the way and not be exposed in normal usage.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It shouldn't be exposed, but if it already appears dirty, you might look into simply changing it out. I just looked it up and it's on pages 4-13 and 4-14 of the '09 owners manual. VERY simple job

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
dangly goretex flap kinda under the airbag? I think it's something to do with the airbag...

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
893 Posts
If your HVAC system was set to recirculate, then you will be able to see the cabin air filter. The door will remain in the last setting even when the car is shut off.

The recirculate vent opens above the filter to keep it in use to help keep the HVAC system clean. Its also a handy way to check the condition of the filter without actually having to go to the trouble of fully removing it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
If your HVAC system was set to recirculate, then you will be able to see the cabin air filter. The door will remain in the last setting even when the car is shut off.

The recirculate vent opens above the filter to keep it in use to help keep the HVAC system clean. Its also a handy way to check the condition of the filter without actually having to go to the trouble of fully removing it.
Hmmm, good tip, filed for later till something more important replaces it in my brain, lol.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,378 Posts
I still can't picture what's happening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts