Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring CVT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep, now I get it - THAT was fun.

Wow. After coming out of an XV (Crosstrek) last week, which I really did admire (with the Aussie suspension as delivered here) as a great car to drive for the past eight months, I've just come back from my first really good drive of my new '14 FXT. My Gawd.... I can now see what it's all about. I became very used to the Lineartronic CVT in my XV. So, I already have a good appreciation of the kick-down behaviour of these boxes, which you really do come to properly know after owning one for a while. The combined extra power of the FA-20/turbo and the 8-speed CVT in this thing plainly kicks butt. I'm still buzzing from the sheer fun of being able to squirt it when required to quickly overtake. It's comparatively vicious to the turbo SAABs I've driven for years, which are more designed for long-haul cruising and boosting gently past things and over hills, but the XT is just... whooooshka! I'm sure it's slow compared to STi's and other worked XT's, but as a car that you can buy off the floor to fill a sensible space in your driving day it's brilliant. I can see myself falling in love with this vehicle. Well done Subaru. :icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
'21 ISM Crosstrek Limited
1,182 Posts
Wow. After coming out of an XV (Crosstrek) last week, which I really did admire (with the Aussie suspension as delivered here) as a great car to drive for the past eight months, I've just come back from my first really good drive of my new '14 FXT. My Gawd.... I can now see what it's all about. I became very used to the Lineartronic CVT in my XV. So, I already have a good appreciation of the kick-down behaviour of these boxes, which you really do come to properly know after owning one for a while. The combined extra power of the FA-20/turbo and the 8-speed CVT in this thing plainly kicks butt. I'm still buzzing from the sheer fun of being able to squirt it when required to quickly overtake. It's comparatively vicious to the turbo SAABs I've driven for years, which are more designed for long-haul cruising and boosting gently past things and over hills, but the XT is just... whooooshka! I'm sure it's slow compared to STi's and other worked XT's, but as a car that you can buy off the floor to fill a sensible space in your driving day it's brilliant. I can see myself falling in love with this vehicle. Well done Subaru. :icon_biggrin:
Compared to an STi that has been brought to the zenith of a Stage2 setup... yes, the STi is quicker, of course.

But stock? Not so much actually. The WRX and STi are quicker because they get the MT launch, but in terms of top end power they are not significantly faster despite being lighter vehicles.

As you've found out the new FXT is a wolf in sheep's clothing on the highway. Your term "squirt" is apt, as the XT zips amazingly without fanfare. It's almost impossible to drive it conservatively enough to stay with normal traffic. I never drive mine without finding more appreciation.

Is the specifications for the AUDM FXT the same as the USDM? Keep us informed with your ownership, your descriptive style is good reading.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.