Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester X
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade the exhaust in my daily driver. Not looking for performance quality, just something that flows and rumbles better than stock. What are some mid-range options for catback or axleback exhaust upgrades? Is it easy to go up to 2.5"?

·
Registered
2007 Forester X
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply, Bobby! Yes, I've considered doing only an axle-back upgrade as it would be lower in cost. I just figured, if I'm going to put in the work, I may as well upgrade the midpipe/resonator. Also, the flanges on the midpipe are in questionable shape.

In terms of exhaust flow and helping the engine "breathe" better, I'm wondering whether the gains from a catback are worth the added cost (versus axle back).

Do you have a sound clip of your Magnaflow (I think the link your post is dead)? I see that your muffler shop had to do some welding; did it not bolt on directly? Looking for something that will bolt on.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,837 Posts
The sound clip is hosted on Photobucket & it no longer works... I believe they're blocking it! :mad:

The fabrication cut off the stock muffler, leaving the flange at the axle. The new assemble... the pipe & Magnaflow muffler was welded on to the flange. The stock muffler is an axle back, so this new fabrication is the same. Since it reused the stock muffler flange, it can be unbolted. :wink:

Use caution not to open up the exhaust too much, as on a nonturbo, you could loose horsepower & low end torque! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: bman400

·
Registered
2007 Forester X
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use caution not to open up the exhaust too much, as on a nonturbo, you could loose horsepower & low end torque! :icon_eek:
I have read that too. Do you know what the stock diameter is for '07 X? I think I will keep the pipe diameter < 2.25". Would not want to lose hp and low end torque!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,837 Posts
I'm not entirely sure you will get the boxer rumble... burble, as that requires UEL - unequal length headers. UEL headers are NOT efficient, compared to ELH - equal length headers, so I'm guessing manufacturers are not going to install these on a nonturbo engine. :confused:

Take a look at this thread for the boxer rumble... burble: Unlock the boxer rumble - Exhausts for NA 06 Forester?

This thread should answer your question on exhaust pipe size: Exhaust diameter narrows

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2007 Forester X
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I understand why your Magnaflow was welded on. The MF does not come with a flange so it doesn't bolt on to the midpipe/resonator. Hm. I was hoping for something that wouldn't require cutting and welding. Will have to think more on this.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X 5 Speed Manual
13 Posts
Almost positive there isn't any bolt on exhaust for an '07 N/A. I've searched everywhere to find a bolt on option, but haven't had any luck. I just had a Greddy Revolution RS 2.5" Muffler welded on my '06 and it sounds wonderful for a N/A with no UEL headers. I got the muffler itself for about $130 and had it welded on for about $70.
20190329_152022.jpg
20190329_152247.jpg
20190329_152222.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/GReddy-11001125-Revolution-Universal-Muffler/dp/B072KNXW45

1 - 9 of 9 Posts