Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a head to manifold leak that I cannot fix. Ive tried grimmspeed gaskets and they have leaked, copper spray and it melted, doubling up gaskets(which made it leak less but still leaking). I looks to me that the header flanges have became warped over time. I was thinking about getting remflex gaskets but Ive read that they blow out over time because of our high exhaust gas pressure and they dont have a fire ring. I emailed remflex to see if they could possibly make a set with a fire ring. Im running out of options and wondering if you have any input of what I can do to seal them up. Ive read online that some people with other turboed cars have used stove sealant which is good to 2000F.

Here are some pictures of my problem. As you can see where the headers are leaking and that the copper gasket spray has just melted away. At first i thought it was a uppipe leak but the pictures tell the truth:

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
I have a head to manifold leak that I cannot fix. ....... It looks to me that the header flanges have became warped over time. .....
Instead of trying gasket after gasket and patch after patch, why not just fix the problem.

A. get a new header

B. get new flanges to weld in place of your old ones

C. straighten them, vise followed by a stationary disc/belt sander

I make no guarantee as to figment, just showing they are out there.
Subaru 4 cyl Header Flange

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Instead of copper gasket stuff, you could use muffler cement which is meant for high temperatures. I usually use a small amount of this as preventive measure on exhaust gasket joints, although I don't normally use it on manifold gaskets.

·
Registered
75-9 N/a
2 Posts
Exhaust Leak at flange

Leaks at the exhaust flange collector is a old problem. Having to cut the exhaust to replace a flange is timely. Flattening the a fatigued flange is only kicking the can down the road. Consider this replacement. No cutting. No welding.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zBdFKlVRh48
C Flange Bracket. Comes in different configurations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts