Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've noticed recently that i have an exhaust leak or possibly more than one. i know i have one leak where i had the numb nuts at midas weld me in a new mid pipe becasue my stock one had a leak where the resonator was. so i know the weld's that those guys did are leaking more and more. and i have the feeling that i have a some more leaks where some of the pipes are connected and until i get my tax refund back i can't afford a new stromung mid pipe and new gaskets and such to fix all the leaks.
well i guess my question is how much power am i loosing due to my exhaust leaks. i've noticed that my friends 2.5 rs pulls on me sometimes and i have a few more mods than he does and only weigh 200-300 more pounds than him(the car's weight that is)
any ideas?

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Usually the welds are guarenteed for a certain amount of time, example, if you have an exhaust done at a local shop here they will warranty their work, parts, labor, for a year.

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i took it back to them and had them touch it up once but it's really no use, they seem so incompetent to me, i figure i'll just wait till i get a new midpipe

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Loss of power is one issue but the most important one regarding an exhaust leak is how much cold air is it sucking in? That far down the line may not be a big issue but as you get closer to the engine, cold air being sucked in to a hot motor is never good.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
Loss of power is one issue but the most important one regarding an exhaust leak is how much cold air is it sucking in? That far down the line may not be a big issue but as you get closer to the engine, cold air being sucked in to a hot motor is never good.
I didn't know that an exhaust could draw air INTO an engine...

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Maybe Jamie (Subiegal) could be cheaper, but 1stsubaruparts.com has the midpipe for 99-01 Forester for $128.
MY04 XS did the same thing. At 38K. Subaru would not do anything under warrenty unless it threw a CEL related to the Cat's. 3 dealers wanted from $425 to $650 to replace the pipe. All I wanted was it repaired. So I went your route. To a local Custom Exhaust guy who cut out the center pipe resonator, welded in a straight pipe, and relieved me of $25. $25 in my mind well spent, especially if that lasts me 2-3 yrs longer. At that time I would gladly replace the center pipe at that time for $128.

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ferret said:
All I wanted was it repaired. So I went your route. To a local Custom Exhaust guy who cut out the center pipe resonator, welded in a straight pipe, and relieved me of $25. $25 in my mind well spent, especially if that lasts me 2-3 yrs longer. At that time I would gladly replace the center pipe at that time for $128.
this is exactly what i did, but mine cost like 75 for mild steel (i was not happy) so i'm just gonna suck it up and get the stainless mid pipe so that my entire exhaust will be stainless :) . i feel like my car is really lacking a lot of pep now, i am sooo mad. i think i'm gonna do a 100,000 mile maintenence (only about 1100 miles away :( ) replace plugs and such. anybody have the maintenence schedule for our cars?
thanks, shane

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very awesome, thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts