Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 XSMT Premium
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i recently noticed some rattling noise (metal plates vibrating) when the engine revs up or at decel around 2-3k rpm.

took the 2003 XS in for an oil change and mentioned the issue. the tech informed me that the upper and lower down pipe exhaust guards are loose, causing the noise. he informed me it would be cheaper to get it fixed, the replacement of the part would be around $400 ($280ish for the part alone).

i took it to a local midas and they clamped the plates together for free, which lasted for a few weeks. now the noise is back and it's annoying the hell out of me.

any ideas for the next option? muffler shop for a weld? any suggestion would be appreciated.

cheers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My wife has an 03 Outback with the same problem.

I took a pair of tinsnips to cut away a small amount of the guards where they meet on the sides and then clamped them tight to the exhaust pipe using simple hose clamps.

Easy to do and has worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
2003 XSMT Premium
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you!

My wife has an 03 Outback with the same problem.

I took a pair of tinsnips to cut away a small amount of the guards where they meet on the sides and then clamped them tight to the exhaust pipe using simple hose clamps.

Easy to do and has worked flawlessly.
do you by chance have any pics? thank you!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
Another option that my mechanic (Subaru tech) does and has done for my 99 Forester was to use a few self tapping screws through the heat shield that just lightly touched the exhaust pipe. That has stopped the rattles and no damage to the exhaust. The car now has over 340,000 kilometres and no heat shield rattles.:biggrin:

Suprisingly shortly after I got my 08 and took it in for some servicing, I forgot to tell him about the same heatshield rattle which is pretty common. When I went to pick it up he told me he had taken care of it the same way as on my 99.:icon_razz:

Don't forget if you've not seen it, is to join up to http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f67/official-washington-forester-owners-list-55547/ lot's of great members closer than you think.
+ I believe they and the Oregon Forester's Owners Group will be trying to get a meet together sometime this year.

PS nice avatar, I'd love to own a Speed Triple

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 4EAT
690 Posts
Irritating vibrations

I have an 03 forester X with the same annoying rattle. I will try the self taping screws as it seams more durable than hose clamps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts