Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to make sure, but I seen an ad locally for a catback exhaust from a '98 RS, and was just wondering about fitment on a '05 Forester X. IIRC, it should fit, I would just need to extend the axle portion since the Impreza one is shorter right, and would sit farther under the bumper? But will it also clear the rear rear suspension ?

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Sorta depends on the exhaust... I have the OBX catback on my 05 X and it fit great. Is it a cannon style muffler? Does it exit at an angle?

You'll likely have to extend it a bit, but might not if it has a long tip. If it exits at a serious angle it might just melt the heck out of your bumper. Is this a custom one? Or a brand name?

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,295 Posts
Also, if you have a rear diff protector, fitment can be too tight (sits on the protector).

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorta depends on the exhaust... I have the OBX catback on my 05 X and it fit great. Is it a cannon style muffler? Does it exit at an angle?

You'll likely have to extend it a bit, but might not if it has a long tip. If it exits at a serious angle it might just melt the heck out of your bumper. Is this a custom one? Or a brand name?
It's actually a Stromung from a '98 RS. I've searched a little and got a little confused. I've read that it should fit, but might need to extend the pipe since the bumper is longer on the Forester. But I also read stuff about having to rotate the flange too? Am I reading about a different exhaust or different vehicle?
Also, if you have a rear diff protector, fitment can be too tight (sits on the protector).
No diff protector here. So should work? I've also read about possibly needing longer hangers too?

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
The stromung should be a great fit. Very much like mine. Is it the dual or single tip?
You will need one Napa/Autozone extended hanger on the right rear to drop the tip down a little.

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stromung should be a great fit. Very much like mine. Is it the dual or single tip?
You will need one Napa/Autozone extended hanger on the right rear to drop the tip down a little.
Thanks for the quick response. Just 1 hanger right?

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh sorry forgot to add, it's a single tip. Thanks bro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts