Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

My recently acquired Forester XT has amongst its many issues an absolutely shot back box. Anyway I found this online which appears to be just the ticket and it's ridiculously cheap (adding the centre section added virtually nowt to the cost.

Now I'd love nothing more than to go and get myself a full stainless system made up but that's not happening, yet, but I do need to get it replaced. It appears to be the right one for my model but to be honest I am so utterly bamboozled by the various Forester revisions I would love it if someone can check and see what you think. I generally don't trust automated part checkers, as anyone who's used ECP or Amazon will testify to.

Also any advice on the hanger sizes I need would be useful. I've not poked around yet but figure they'll be perished and would like to be ready.

TIA

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,414 Posts
The backbox section looks right. I'm not sure about that mid section as there was some variance between the facelift years from memory as @Scc28 found out - Might be worth searching his posts for the exhaust lenght for the cat pipe and mid sections?

Is the 10th digit in your VIN a 5, 6 or 7 ? Just remembered yours is a 56 plate so that might play a part too

Some alternative options perhaps?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I'll check the VIN tomorrow and post back. Thinking of the centre section as the connecting flanges look pretty shot but they may clean up once the bolts have been cut off.

As always the problem with used exhausts is no one wants to post them and they're never close by. I'll hang on for a day or two anyway and see what appears. (y)

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,732 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear Box has part number for the UK EJ204 engined version 2007
Rear pipe part number that equates to US version 2.5L 2006-8 (44200SA041 - Exhaust Pipe R. (Rear). MUFFLER - Genuine Subaru Part) UK version P/N 44200FE230 (early) or 44200SA010 (later)
Thank you, much appreciated. Really baffled now [pardon the pun]. I may just need to send them an email tomorrow.

Sorry for being hopeless, I really don't know much about Subarus yet but I'll get there in the end. 😶

Would you happen to know the correct part number for the '56 XT?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,732 Posts
Have just updated the "later" UK part number .
I don't deal with "plate numbers" as much as possible as they don't really mean anything and I would be guessing.

As per TMX the model year (MY) is really required for accuracy. 10th Character of VIN :)
If it's a 5 then MY05, 6 - MY06 ; 7 - MY07

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
411 Posts
Hello,

My recently acquired Forester XT has amongst its many issues an absolutely shot back box. Anyway I found this online which appears to be just the ticket and it's ridiculously cheap (adding the centre section added virtually nowt to the cost.

Now I'd love nothing more than to go and get myself a full stainless system made up but that's not happening, yet, but I do need to get it replaced. It appears to be the right one for my model but to be honest I am so utterly bamboozled by the various Forester revisions I would love it if someone can check and see what you think. I generally don't trust automated part checkers, as anyone who's used ECP or Amazon will testify to.

Also any advice on the hanger sizes I need would be useful. I've not poked around yet but figure they'll be perished and would like to be ready.

TIA

Where in the country are you? I've got a 'classic' length mid pipe and back box off my SG9 sat not doing anything. It's the same set up as the one pictured in the post after yours....You can have it for free. I'm, in Basingstoke.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,732 Posts
Have updated the Euro VIN thread linked above, as some of the "attachments" where missing - a problem since the latest site upgrade.

Where in the country are you? I've got a 'classic' length mid pipe and back box off my SG9 sat not doing anything. It's the same set up as the one pictured in the post after yours....You can have it for free. I'm, in Basingstoke.
For a UK MY05 onwards 2.5 XT the FSTi "classic" mid/rear pipe will be too long by about 4 inches.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have just updated the "later" UK part number .
I don't deal with "plate numbers" as much as possible as they don't really mean anything and I would be guessing.

As per TMX the model year (MY) is really required for accuracy. 10th Character of VIN :)
If it's a 5 then MY05, 6 - MY06 ; 7 - MY07
Nice one, I'll take a look later this morning. (y)

That's so generous, thank you so much, but alas I'm 'up north' nr Newcastle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right I've checked my VIN and have the following info;

Date31.05.2006
Actual
KolCount0
KolComment
MarketEurope
Modelyearfrom03.05.2005
Modelyearto11.07.2007

A lesson for me too this. SO when I'm looking online for parts would I search for an '05 (model from), '06 (date built) or '07 (year to)?

I'm assuming '05?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,732 Posts
So what was the 10th character of the VIN????? and what did you check your VIN to get the above info??
It's looking like its a MY06

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tenth digit is 7.

I used that site earlier but it had too many blanks for me so being lazy I went here. There's loads more selling reports but this had quite a bit included for nowt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never knew that. I honestly assumed MY07 would be 'made in 07'.

Not an unreasonable assumption mind! But it does support my concern about online parts checkers and explains why ECP (or Random Car Parts as we call them) does what it does.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,732 Posts
I never knew that. I honestly assumed MY07 would be 'made in 07'.

Not an unreasonable assumption mind! But it does support my concern about online parts checkers and explains why ECP (or Random Car Parts as we call them) does what it does.
Obviously you haven't read the linked thread I quoted earlier in this thread re: VINs, since I've updated it. ;)

As you also asked about hangers in your first post

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's awesome, thank you. I can see my card getting hammered again. At least the hangers appeared to be in alright condition.

I guess what I meant was I didn't think the MY yr would not be the one in which the model was actually introduced or made (rather than the VIN digit). (y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts