Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IF YOU CAN SEE WHERE YOU'RE GOING YOU DON'T NEED YOUR BL**DY FOG LIGHTS ON!!!!!

Thank you, I feel better now.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
279 Posts
ROTFL! I get a real chuckle when control-freaks go nuts because they can't mind other peoples' business.

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
634 Posts
I turn mine on if it's snowing, raining really bad, foggy...I don't use them on a regular basis like I see some people do..Why waste bulb life?

·
Registered
2010 Forester X 2.5 Auto
95 Posts
I turn mine on if it's snowing, raining really bad, foggy...I don't use them on a regular basis like I see some people do..Why waste bulb life?
Why help prevent an accident? Why indicate and waste bulb life?

Are bulbs $1,000 each these days?

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Dear me, just think of all that electricity you'd be wasting by turning 'em on. Tsk, Tsk. :icon_idea::icon_idea::icon_idea:

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
634 Posts
Why help prevent an accident? Why indicate and waste bulb life?

Are bulbs $1,000 each these days?
No they're not $1,000. I have lights that turn on already anyway called day time running lights, and if you can't see those then you have issues anyway. Just sayin'.
:biggrin:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Agree with Mike D entirely, there is a reason they are known as 'Wayne Kerr' lights in our family!

Circa 3% increased fuel consumption (therefore Co2 emissions) for using front fogs with dipped lights!

Simon

·
Registered
25 Posts
3% ??? That's more like the difference Air-con makes. I really doubt that 110 Watts (2 x 55w) will equal a 3% increase in fuel consumption but maybe.

Can you explain a bit more ?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Yes sure, where I used to work (Rover Group), when the EU were first proposing daytime running lights we tested 4 different cars over the EU cycle with headlights on, so front/sides, rears and dash lighting, total 154watts, and it increased CO2 circa 5%, so I 'rule of thumb' scaled that back to 110W for the fog lights to 3%, obviously the worse a car is in terms of CO2, the same 'hit' will be a smaller percentage. I remember specifically that the Rover 214 was 4.8%.

NOTE the new DRL regs allow the use of energy efficient LED's.

A/C hit is much higher than 3% on an average car, although on a subaru it possibly is as our baseline CO2 is so much worse!

Simon

A

·
0 Posts
There is a form of lighting that people think is much more cool these days than fogs, even though it looks great from where they are sitting and they "think" their bright blue projected light is not blinding oncoming drivers :mob:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I don't know about the EU Foresters, but the fogs on both my 05s light up the sides of the road really well. I run them all the time in both cars. Without them you can't see as much or the road.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
it helps light up the area in front of your car that your headlight doesn't light up right?

i was just thinking that to myself when i almost ran over a family of racoons with my matrix because i couldn't see the dark road for 5-6 ft directly in front of the car, though i could FROM that 5-6ft ahead and on because that's where its headlights are pointed from the factory. luckily no guts floating around in the wheel wells.

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,403 Posts
Whilst driving to the supermarket last night, no fog, just snow on the roads 'cos the councils seem to have forgotten to grit - remind me again why do we pay our council taxes? I got told off by the wife for flashing my fogs on and off at an oncoming driver who had his fogs on?!?!?!?!

She was fine with me flashing the fogs and even accepted me mouthing 'Turn your feckin fog lights off you knob" even though the offending driver wouldn't have seen me, but objected to me continuing to mutter apt descriptions like 'tosser', 'pleb', 'twonk' and others for a few minutes afterwards whilst we drove down the road.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
most people I see driving with fogs on all the time probably couldn't figure out how to turn them off anyways.. meh, I try not to let it bother me.

but those names your muttering are good, I want to call someone a twonk.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
I was stuck in a traffic jam in front of a school run mum in a big 4x4, fogs on, so I asked he to turn them off 'they are off' - 'No they aren't' - 'oh - That better' - 'no they are still ON' - 'oh - don't know where the switch is' - 'well stop until you find it, turn the ruddy annoying things off and then set off again' - 'er, um, er, OK!'.....

God help me, I nearly slapped her one!

Roiund here I couldn't mutter for minutes after seeing each set of front fogs or I'd never stop muttering, even flashed a marked up cop car with them on (clear night!)

Simon

1 - 20 of 41 Posts