Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
reading the workshop manual, it states "Excessive back pressure in exhaust system" as a possible cause for overheating. Does this depend on a malfunction of the exhaust system, or can it happen as an one-off incident? Can cat converters be affected by higher than normal EGT and somewhat cause an additional restriction to the exhaust gases?

I am chasing down an overheating situation with my car which seems to only happen every 2 years or more, and always on the highway.

Thanks!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
If a cat goes bad, a couple things can happen; the" honecomb" (catalyst itself)material inside can glaze over with deposits which can restrict, and it may also break apart into chunks that can slow exhaust flow,as well.

The main symptom is a lack of response to the accelerator. It almost seems as if the more you step on it the slower you go.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx but I guess this does not work on an one-off basis, I mean either the catalyst is good or bad, no?

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
True, but,,, Hard to say, not knowing how down on power it is compared to new.

If you( briefly ) remove the Oxygen sensor before the cat and get a noticeable increase in power, that is a big clue of restriction in the cat.

The sensor is considered a maintenance item and should be replaced, some say, every 100000 mi/160000 k.

OEM is best, as cheaper aftermarket potentially results in sensors with a slower response time.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thnx! I got almost 170,000 Km So I replace the O2 sensot (aka -lambda, right?) , what about the catalyst itself ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts