Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surprised nobody's brought up the upcoming Toyota/Subaru collaboration, the Subaru Evoltis and Toyota BZ. With the electrification of newer models coming out from all makers, Tesla's getting some competition. Looks like the same size as our Foresters, but a full EV. To be announced in 2021 as a 2022 model.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,039 Posts
From the link...

“Subaru will unveil its electric car in the first half of 2021 and could launch it in the U.S. market in 2022.”

Well, we should start hearing more about it very soon. I suspect this vehicle, other than body cladding and design, may end up being a lot more Toyota, and a lot less Subaru... but, that’s only my guess...

As for being surprised no one has said much about it, think of it this way...

Who was the first man to walk on the moon?

Now, how many more men also walked on the moon, and what were their names?

Everyone knows Tesla because it was the first bit EV “hit”. As additional manufacturers introduce EVs, they lose the sensationalism that comes with something being new and innovative being brought to market.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I suspect Subaru is going to (and expecting to) lose money on this thing. They have freely admitted this car is purely to meet regulatory requirements. I expect this will be a temporary thing that will get their foot in the door on EV tech and allow them to learn and eventually transition their entire fleet over to over the next several years.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,039 Posts
Not Subaru, but a vision of passenger vehicle offering of the future, and that future may be here far sooner than many may think...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quite a few things have changed over the past 15 years, not least battery range.

It is interesting to see Subaru partnering (again) with Toyota on a Forester sized battery powered vehicle. Stats make it look like it will be no slouch, with STi power levels, and just under 500KM range, probably meaning around 420 if other tests are any indication.
Subaru Forester-sized electric SUV officially confirmed! New Toyota twin to take on Volkswagen ID.4 and other mid-size EVs

ETA - probably late 2022 according to Toyota, hopefully it is not delayed further.

I will definitely be checking it out, pity about the Evoltis name, hope they don't release an R version...

·
Registered
04 forester 5mt N/A, 17 impreza at N/A
101 Posts
dude! this is epic. i was just saying to my wife subaru needs a good sized ev. something the size of the tesla x. and the forester would be a good fit. i was also telling her i should ev swap a baja becaus its a strange little subaru so why not make it stranger lol

·
Registered
2020 Forester, CAD Touring, Horizon Blue
69 Posts
I am very hesitant of pure electric vehicles because of distance. I would be very interested in a PHEV though. If they put out something along the line of a Forester PHEV or maybe an Outback Wilderness PHEV. I would wait for 2nd or 3rd year production and be all over them.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
573 Posts
Wow.
A true masterpiece of motoring journalism....NOT LOLOLOOLOL
Who comes up with uttler dog poo of click bait sillyness?

Off road EV? LOLOLOLOL Unless they count a dirt road to resort cabin in Tahoe off roading. Cause that's what the only thing off road that and current ev's can do.
Come back with proper specs and reviews. Then we can discuss.

Till then I got a few bridges up for sale. I just got in this really cool "golden" bridge in California. Hurry low prices won't last long.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agreed, there is not much information. Subaru appears unlikely to provide details for a while, though given the optimistic Toyota projections for a 2022 release, there may be more details coming from them.
For many years car makers have promoted brand allegiance amongst their core customers. In Australia the annual Ford vs Holden Bathurst events used to attract an almost religious following, there were generations that would buy Holdens (or Fords) - regardless of whether they were only re-badged Daewoo's.
It will be interesting to see how this pans out in future, and whether the trend toward more generic shared technology (such as VW MEB) dilutes brand allegiance. Some of the more distinctive things about our Subarus will become distant memories, car buying could be reduced to an Ebay price comparison purchase, the main differences may become software/firmware generated.

·
Administrator
16,441 Posts
the only thing off road that and current ev's can do
Well that's not entirely true e.g.: Rivian - Electric Adventure Vehicles
The torque of a 4WD EV will be fantastic! I have a friend with a Tesla and we often visit the house of another friend who has a really steep driveway; the Tesla just whips up in reverse no problem at all whereas in my ute I have to engage low range 4WD to accomplish the same task ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is the trick they used to use with VW type 2's (Kombis) when bush bashing up in far Northern QLD in the 50's, if they didnt get up the hill in 1st, they would turn around and use reverse. Though it was only 36hp, the old reduction gears and low centre of gravity made it reverse like a tractor.
BTW That is the one of the best features of electric motors, instant torque.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,245 Posts
Your post about electric performance is quite true.
Electrics generate 100% of their torque as soon as they start rotating.
I saw an episode of Jay Leno's garage where he raced his 575 Hp Cobra 427 against a "grandma" in a Tesla P85D.
The Tesla blew his Cobra away.
Jay made the point after the race that he always says that it's not HP it's torque, but he didn't come up with the concept.
That's from the adage that torque wins races on Sunday and horsepower makes sales on Monday.

I think the point @Mr.AC was making wasn't that an EV is not a capable drive train, it's more that you can't go to places without an electrical infrastructure capable of recharging it, assuming you don't plan on having it towed home. Another issue is charge time. Not everyone has the luxury of waiting around for several hours to fuel their car.

A major consideration for most will be, can I actually use the car without extreme inconvenience.
That is likely to contribute to slow sales outside urban areas which is where you typically where you see most electric powered vehicles.

It will be interesting to see what power reservoir will be used (It's new and advanced- What does that mean?), and an answer to the biggest unknown - CO$T.
None of that information is likely to be seen until October, assuming that design problems don't delay the launch date.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
573 Posts
Well that's not entirely true e.g.: Rivian - Electric Adventure Vehicles
Oh don't get me wrong EV torque are no joke, so is their power, BUT put the money where the mouth is, tell your buddy to put a lift kit, proper AT tires and take him on the same trails you would go. then report back. Love to know how well it does scraping over rocks.

Rivian, has yet to be on sale. so...it does not exist. A hand full of demos out there, even out there off roading...along with a couple of recovery vehicles, and a trailer.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,245 Posts
Wow - I took a look at the Rivian. It does look good. .
With the SUV launch price at only $77,500 everybody is going to buy one.
Upgrade from 300 to 400 mile range and it only adds 10 grand to the sticker.
No notice on pricing or availability for 30 year mortgages to afford it.
Insurance is likely to be really cheap too..

·
Registered
2020 Forester, CAD Touring, Horizon Blue
69 Posts
A RAV 4 Prime type of power train in a Forester could be a winner.
That's what I was thinking. With the partnership they have with Toyota it's a real possibility we will see one. The hp and torque numbers if similar to the Prime will be big increase over current Foresters. I looked hard at the Mitsu Outlander PHEV but the technology was dated and it was fugly. Rav 4 Prime was at least a year or more away in Canada and close to 20 grand more. If I owned cars for 10 plus years or more than 20 grand may be an option but at 3 to 5 year ownership hard to justify.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,245 Posts
It might be a winner, but Subaru already has a hybrid power train sold overseas, so that might reduce collaboration chances with Toyota.
Since the RAV 4 and Forester are direct competitors, would it be in Toyota's best interests... Probably not, and another reason it's unlikely.

Toyota does have a great deal of hybrid experience, but pretty much NADA in EV only.
It is rather interesting that Subaru and Toyota collaborate on an EV, when neither have an EV in production....

Maybe jumping into the pool is less scary when doing it with a friend.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts