Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 forester xs
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 needs front struts. 100k and counting. Rides ok but I noticed some seal leakage on the drivers side last time I rotated tires. How big of a pain to do at home? Looking at a set of KYBs on ebay for $187, sound about right?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Can be a bit of a pain, depends how much experience you have wrenching. The lower strut bolts can sometimes be a bit of a pain to get a good breaker bar on (much much easier if you ahve an impact wrench). You'll also need to be comfortable using spring compressors.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
542 Posts
It all depends how you value your time and what kind of tools you have.
I wouldn't attempt it without an air wrench as compressing the springs would take forever without one.
When I installed Swift springs on my 05 I started around 2PM and ended up around midnight. (Good thing I don't do this for a living!)
If you do decide to do it yourself, read up on top hat orientation before re-installing the springs. And make sure you draw alignment marks before taking things apart, so that you can go back to the alignment when you put things back. Otherwise you will need a new front end alignment.

·
Registered
2005 forester xs
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I have done struts on a couple of front wheel drives before so I have a general idea of what I'm getting myself in to. I just didn't want to get half way thru and realize that I should have asked questions first. Been there, done that. I would like to replace my tires (Dunlop SP60s, that I love, 60k+ and still have plenty-o-tread!) and replace struts then do an alignment. Should get me the next 100k.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
IMO, if you are replacing struts, do all 4 at once -- you are getting the car re-aligned afterwards anyway. I've done it myself a few times, and it isn't bad, but you may run into problems if you don't have certain tools -- getting the tophat nuts on/off without spring compressors, airtools or pass-through socket may be close to impossible. Depending on the rate the shop would charge it may be worth having them do it, but it is a nice project to tackle yourself if you have the time and tools.

You won't be done in 5 hours, plan for something to go wrong :icon_biggrin:

Stan

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
Its not bad at all.Just make sure you have the complete front of your Forester off the ground.

10 lug nuts "wheels off".
6 top nuts for struts tops.
4 bolts for abs & brake lines.
2 large bolts & 2 large nuts for struts to knuckle.
Wiggle struts out with out ripping cv boot.

At this point if you feel secure about swapping springs,dust boots & struts tops to new struts.You will need to head to an autoparts store to get spring compressors.If not run them to your local suspension store & let them worries about it for you.

reverse order.

joe r

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Get some white touch-up paint and mark the strut bolts (alignment bolts) so you can re-install them in the same position, this way your alignment will stay close to what it was before the swap. For example, put a white dot on the part of the bolt head that's facing up. No need to mark the struts since you'd be swapping them anyway.

Stan

·
Registered
2005 forester xs
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will give this a shot. Found a complete set of 4 KYB struts on ebay for under $300 shipped. Sounds good to me as the local parts store wanted $140 each for the fronts. Thanks again.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Its not bad at all.Just make sure you have the complete front of your Forester off the ground.

10 lug nuts "wheels off".
6 top nuts for struts tops.
4 bolts for abs & brake lines.
2 large bolts & 2 large nuts for struts to knuckle.
Wiggle struts out with out ripping cv boot.

At this point if you feel secure about swapping springs,dust boots & struts tops to new struts.You will need to head to an autoparts store to get spring compressors.If not run them to your local suspension store & let them worries about it for you.

reverse order.

joe r

Ah, good point. I didn't even think of taking the full assemblies off DIY, and then bringing them to a shop to swap the springs on. That would probably be the best bet if you haven't swapped springs before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts