Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo manual
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was browsing the interweb and came across this item ..............
https://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=162
not only did i buy it but also brought the optional extra Redline WaterWetter :icon_rolleyes:
i need to stay of the pc i seam to get bored and look up any thing at all
im sure it will come in handy at some stage :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
942 Posts
thats what i have and i'm pulling it out and swtiching back to stock or the 170F.... my car runs EXTREMELY cold when the weather gets chilly.... just drove home to South Dakota for Christmas w/ the family and had to make a cardboard blocker for the grill to allow the car to get up to temp! otherwise just daily driving in town it sits on the lower bar of the heat gauge. when traveling it will bury it's self on cold as if i just started the car and gas milage is poor! just an FYI. my set up is the waterwetter, 160F thermostate, and a fully aluminum radiator and one fan.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts
I'm curious on others feelings with this as well. I have one and have to put it in.. Stealthy Scooby made me think twice..

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'm curious on others feelings with this as well. I have one and have to put it in.. Stealthy Scooby made me think twice..
Does yours ever run hot? Theres not much reason to get one of these unless you're already in there replacing the t-stat. The only advantage to these over stock is that when they fail they fail open rather than closed, same as the coolsafe t-stats. This also opens 10 deg cooler than stock, which will allow coolant to go through the radiator at a cooler engine temp than normal.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
942 Posts
fittment for me was oem like, just popped right in no problems. tell ya what, since i've been watching it pretty closely i've noticed somethings.
1. 40+ degrees it runs a little cooler then normal as it's suppose to or designed to.
2. anything below 40 and it runs cold and you can't get it to come up unless your sitting still, or old school cardboard trick. (not a fan of this but it works to bring it up to normal running temp)
3. they finally updated their website now with a 170 version, 2-3 degrees cooler then stock and is made more for us that get colder in the winter season thus allowing the water to warm up as normal and having HEAT while driving ha ha
4. summer time it runs cooler and the needle does hold a spot lower then when using the oem one so it clearly works!
conclusion: if you get colder then 40 in the winter get a 170F one or just stick with oem. performance, to me it seems like it has more get up in the summer running cooler but that could be head games since it's not documented :)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
942 Posts
Does yours ever run hot? Theres not much reason to get one of these unless you're already in there replacing the t-stat. The only advantage to these over stock is that when they fail they fail open rather than closed, same as the coolsafe t-stats. This also opens 10 deg cooler than stock, which will allow coolant to go through the radiator at a cooler engine temp than normal.
exactly! to me it's a bit much for a DD maybe autocross or something? or overheating issue's. but i'm kicking my arse for thinking it would be a plus for my car when really i want it OUT ASAP!

·
Registered
2004 XT2.0 MT
112 Posts
Don't wish to put a spanner in the works but the engine has been designed to work most efficently at a certain temperature where the oil is working at it's optimum and I would guess the engine itself has expanded to the correct tolerances. If you are making the engine run cooler you will be risking damaging your engine even more so if you are running a heavier weight oil as it might not reach its correct operating temp. If your car isn't warming up then you could well be prematurely wearing the components.

Of course I could be completely wrong.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,120 Posts
Don't wish to put a spanner in the works but the engine has been designed to work most efficently at a certain temperature
+1. That's my thoughts.
The correct answer is to put on a bigger radiator if you are worrying about overheating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts