Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving as normal the other day, and heard some strange noises, it was brief and went away, in fact I barely noticed it at all.
Next day I drove around as normal and stopped, shut it off and when I started back up a couple minutes later, I'm getting a check engine light and flashing cruise control light.
Now I hear that noise again but its more noticable and from the engine bay when I went over 2K rpms. This is worrying me because its hard to not go over 4K :icon_wink:
Make a trip to the local Autozone for a scan and they say I'm throwing codes P0011 and P0021 and give me a list of common issues surrounding that code. First two on the list for both is "low or dirty oil" and second is "Oil blockage". I notice I'm about 100 miles over my 3000 since my last oil change so I take it in to change it. After the oil change I asked if it was low, he said no but it was dirty. I found that interesting because I use synthetic oil.
After the oil change I don't notice the sound anymore, but the check engine is still on. I stop to eat dinner and start her back up and no more light! She's back running like a champ!
Completely stock 2004 XT 5M 65K miles
Thought some people might find this interesting if they get these same codes popping up. Anyone have any ideas of what was going on with the motor?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the same thing happen two weeks ago. Sounded like a screetching noise coming from the engine bay and then the CEL came on. 0021 code. Dealer replaced AVCS solenoid in that head. CEL came on and sound reappeared 100 miles later. Dealer reset and changed the oil. 500 miles and nothing...

Puzzling.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5XT
33 Posts
Does anyone know if my '06 2.5XT will have the filters in the AVCS feed banjos? Everything I've found seems to imply it's '04s and some '05s only. Mine threw a P0011 code, and I've changed the oil, but wanting to check for those filters, they looked way harder to get to than in the Scoobymods thread:

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/tsb-02-97-05-rough-5782.html

I couldn't get in there with a crowsfoot without removing a bunch of stuff.

I've cleared the code, and the car is still running fine. Kind of worried about the turbo, though.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi vf39 STi 6spd
46 Posts
I'm gonna bump this cuz my car is having a similar problem right now, and I was wondering if it could be a AVCS solenoid.

My storyline is that yesterday was the coldest day in Chicago so far (low 20's). I had no real problems driving to my friend's place in the 'burbs, to hop in her car and drive Downtown. Car sat in a carport (outside/covered) for about 3 hrs.

Car started idling terribly, shaking the whole car. Drove to pick my sister up from the train. Car died, rpms all over the place.

Since I got the car w/ a Cobb, I plugged it in. A/F was hopping around 14.9-18. Came inside and found this thread. Checked the AVCS. The left side was producing 2's when I'd rev to 2.5k, right side nada.

This is a new car to me, so I just drove to the dealership. Car died 3x's during the 6 mile drive. After an hour they told me I'd have to get the car retimed, then a couple mins later said they wouldn't work on my car cuz it was swapped out and far from OEM.

Plugged in the AP before I pulled it into the garage. Car stalled/died 2x's this time. Neither AVCS is producing anything upon revving.

I'm going back to med school, so the car won't be driven again til spring. Thoughts???

I'll probably tow it to a Chicagoland Subie tuner when I get home again, but I'd like some ideas too.

·
Registered
2009 Ralliart SST
231 Posts
for this on legacygt.com
-------------------------------------

DTC P0021 INTAKE CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER-ADVANCED OR SYSTEM PERFORMANCE (BANK 2) - H4DOTC

DTC DETECTING CONDITION:
• Two consecutive driving cycles with fault
• GENERAL DESCRIPTION

TROUBLE SYMPTOM:
• Engine stalls.
• Improper idling

STEP 1:
CHECK CURRENT DATA.
1) Start the engine and let it idle.
2) Inspect the output of AVCS advance angle and oil flow control solenoid valve duty.

CHECK:
Is AVCS advance approximately 0 degrees, and the oil flow control solenoid valve duty output approx. 10%?

IF "YES":
Check the following item and repair or replace if necessary.
• Engine oil (amount, dirt)
• Oil pipe (clog)
• Oil flow control solenoid valve (clog or dirt of oil routing, setting of spring, clog of valve)
• Intake camshaft (dirt, damage of camshaft)
• Timing belt (matching of timing mark)

IF "NO":
A temporary malfunction. Perform the following, and clean the oil routing:
Replace the engine oil and idle the engine for 5 minutes, and then replace the oil filter and engine oil.
------------------------------------

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5XT
33 Posts
I changed the oil and filter. It's been good since then (a couple of weeks.) No more codes. I'll change it again soon to be sure.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
i hate those screens..
Dirty oil, (poss failing turbo) sends the metal and clogs the screens and sets the light. Currently on my rack is a car with a blown turbo and clogged screens. HOPEFULLY, there is no damage to the engine by the metal in the oil. it leaves a trail of oil from the turbo when I moved it into the shop. The cost for the screen replacement and new turbo is over 2400. If the light comes on I would suggest replacing the screens (or removing them) befor it gets worse

·
Registered
2009 Ralliart SST
231 Posts
i hate those screens..
Dirty oil, (poss failing turbo) sends the metal and clogs the screens and sets the light. Currently on my rack is a car with a blown turbo and clogged screens. HOPEFULLY, there is no damage to the engine by the metal in the oil. it leaves a trail of oil from the turbo when I moved it into the shop. The cost for the screen replacement and new turbo is over 2400. If the light comes on I would suggest replacing the screens (or removing them) befor it gets worse
and if he/she fixed it himself/herself it would be around $250 :p

·
Registered
2007 Audi S4 Avant 6 spd Triptronic
956 Posts
I got these codes on Sunday. I haven't driven the car since then. But I will start with changing the oil and filter.

Stupid question but where are the screens located to clean them out? My turbo still boosts to 18 psi, and seems to have good power. Although it does smoke a little when you initially start up. (I only drive the Foz 1 time a week though)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2009 Ralliart SST
231 Posts
Its in the banjo fitting in the avcs lines.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
956 Posts
Thanks! I looked through the scooby mods threads and the pics helped also.

I need to keep my girl running good! Although I wonder if I could sell this to my wife my turbo is dead and I need a 35R :biggrin

After a small Suby meet last night and leaving my car at idle for about 5 mins, it was smoking pretty bad. So my VF43 is done :( So time to look for a new turbo.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ok I need some help. How do I get the banjo bolts out? The pictures from scoobymods are different than mine. Same location but they are blocked on my engine. One the passenger side it has an oil line running over the top. On the drivers side there is a metal plate over it.

And I did notice my antifreeze overflow tank was about empty. That is also a sign my turbo is dead?

·
Registered
2009 Ralliart SST
231 Posts
I bought the stainless steel line kit. I only removed 2 screens. One on the passenger side the other next to the turbo...that one was a pita. Dont loose those crush washers.

Low coolant could be a leak. Check the radiator? If its full ur ok. Just top off overflow. If radiator is low fill it a d over flow back up. Dont forget to check the top coolant reservoir tank.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
956 Posts
So I data logged on my Cobb AP yesterday the AVCS left and right. Both were working just fine. Then all of a sudden the Right one stopped. I took my DP off last night and I have oil in my exhaust...so yup the turbo is the problem. And man VF48's are hard to find, they sell in about 3 hours once posted!

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
not a big techno on turbo numbers; what does a used (known good) turbo sell for? i have one on my bench, but technically, its not mine yet... (from a 2005 o/b)

·
Registered
956 Posts
not a big techno on turbo numbers; what does a used (known good) turbo sell for? i have one on my bench, but technically, its not mine yet... (from a 2005 o/b)
It all depends on the turbo, if it is a stock TD-04 from a WRX/XT then maybe $100 bucks depending on miles.

If its a VF series, and in good condition then $350 and up depending on which model. A VF48 is anywhere from $550 to $700

1 - 18 of 18 Posts