Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I removed my bonnet scoop for about 4 days(for a re-paint) with driving rain, ive been experiencing erratic idling (for about a month) most of the time it settles on 1100rpm but then hunts for a steady rev anthying from 800rpm to 3000rpm any one else had experienced this .
New throttle body I suspect .

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another DBW throttle question . Are they all the same i.e. Impreza, forester etc or are they car specific and is the STI different ? Probably another reason to have a " Is it interchangeable " thread sticky thing.(y)

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
239 Posts
Check any connectors around the area for moisture, just unplug inspect and re-plug.
Also check for fault codes to see if it knows itself what is the source of the issue

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do and thanks probably something I should have thought of . I should have mentioned that I have had a problem with this hunting before with a Race Dynamix map but then the problem went away with the Abbey Motor sport map . I was trying to gauge if I could borrow one from another car to see if the problem goes away .
Also im not sure how the fault codes would work out for me considering im running the LinkG4+ ecu

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
239 Posts
OK so not likely to be the rain if it was present before the scoop off.... Get a Link G4+ usb cable and hook up to your laptop to read the codes stored in the G4, I think their software is called PC Link but speak to your mapper and ask for advice

@don1952 should be along soon to provide wisdom in the ways of throttle body fitment. I'm guessing that any Ej257 or Ej255 STi throttle body would fit but not 100%

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,087 Posts
I think I have a MY06 Throttle Body if you wanted to borrow to try it out ?

I remember having to reuse my MY05 intake manifold when I fitted a MY06 engine to my 2005 XT though.......... Both were UK versions

Not a clue about the FSTI

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
239 Posts
It might not be the throttle body, any number of sensors may be telling the ECU to change the revs.... Do you have an option to visit your mapper and demonstrate the issue so they can see what is telling the ECU to change the set point

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Neil another good idea, I think I can send the problem remotely to him as the ecu is supposed to data logging all the time .

It just seems weird that after a year of perfect running it would start doing this also when I switch the als on it cures the problem until the engine gets switched off (discovered by chance) im not massively bothered by this its just annoying .
No other differences it still goes like absolute animal especially with this cold weather.;):sneaky:

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,601 Posts
FSTI throttle body complete
Rev C 16112AA110
Rev D, E and F 16112AA210

UK FXT (2.5L)
MY04 and 05 *AA110
MY06, 07 and 08 *AA170

WRX and WRX STI
MY06 and 07 *AA170

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,601 Posts
Thanks Don , any idea why the fsti revisions are different when the uk wrx and uk xt are the same , if im reading it right.
Could be a lot of things.
Yours is a 2004 rev C ?? so a couple of UK possibilities.
Update:
One difference is that the attached MAP sensor (that is included changed at the same time and is different between JDM and later UK models, so maybe this is the only difference between the AA170 and the AA210.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
239 Posts
when I switch the als on it cures the problem
There's your problem - you have been running the anti-lag switch in the off position! silly boy hahahaaa

Seriously though that make it sounds like a sensor/ECU issue all the more - do you know if you have a MAFless tune? in that case it will rely on the MAP sensor....

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,601 Posts
Results for MAP sensor

FSTI
Rev C - 22627AA210 superceded by *AA340
Rev D,E & F - *AA380

UK 2.5L FXT
MY04/05 - *AA210 superceded by *AA340
MY06/07/08 - *AA360

WRX / WRX STI
MY06/07 - *AA360

Looks like yours is the original

·
Registered
2003 Forester AW Manual with low ratio
162 Posts
Low tech approach purely for diagnostic purposes:
Dont laugh.
Would a bit of soft elastic around the throttle pedal shaft, up to somewhere under the dash, aiming to pull the pedal back up to a stop position, just for a trial run, be worth trying???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts