Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Long-time member here, having owned a Forester of varying years and models since 2009. My old Forester's build thread is here, but it was starting to get too messy to evolve it with cars that have since come and gone.

I currently own 3 Subarus, as of Dec 2020. I have a 2005 Forester XS 5MT in CRP, a 2006 WRX 5MT limited wagon in CGM, and my project car, this 2006 Forester XT 6MT in RBP. I'll make a post about each car in this thread, but the thread will focus on and follow the 2006 XT.

I bought it in somewhat late 2018 from my roommate in Denver. Together, we had already modified it a lot, including the original 6 speed swap with a JDM V7 STi trans (not recommended...). Since then, I seem to haven't been able to leave anything well enough alone. It's gotten another motor, a new turbo setup, a new 6 speed, suspension, brakes, interior...you name it. Full mod list to ensue. My question is, why is the power you have never enough?

Here's the engine bay from when I bought it, that is a GTX3582r with a tiny .63 hot side and a P.fab rotated kit. Wild. I hated it. It was on ID1000 injectors and those poor things were past maxed out at only 22ish psi. I think it made low-mid 400's on e85.

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'll make a post about my other Forester here, but it won't really be a sustained journal. It's a 2005 XS 5MT in CRP. I bought it in January of 2019 with about 187k miles on it. It's always been a Colorado car (no rust, unlike many may think...we don't use salt here), pretty clean inside and out, just had a number of mechanical things it needed like head gaskets and a wheel bearing.

I had the engine out of it about 2 days after I brought it home. I did head gaskets, timing kit and clutch, got the injectors cleaned and also did the wheel bearing and brakes while it was all apart. Since then, I've had to replace the battery and the throw out bearing again, but it's been mechanically impeccable. It's just shy of 220k miles now.

Quick mod list:
-New KYB wrx wagon struts and epic engineering springs
-Enkei 17x7.5(?) RPF1's
-UEL header, STi catback
-Kartboy shifter bushings/short throw
-OEM dog barrier
-receiver/wiring for towing my kart etc
-modest sound system, 10" Type R sub, front CDT separates, all amplified and sound deadened
-ceramic tint

This car has been nearly as good as my original 2002 Forester, only because I don't have nearly the amount of money invested into the suspension of this one. It's a great dog hauler, road tripper, daily driver, snow vehicle, and tow vehicle for my kart and other toys, even moving. It's cheap to insure, easy and fun to drive and cheap on gas and maintenance. Can't beat that!

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here's my 2006 wrx wagon. It's a limited, and I bought it in May 2020 at just under 104k miles. It's mostly been a Georgia car with a huge stack of service records in the glove box. It was so stock and clean, I basically had to buy it when I saw it. I previously owned another 2006 wrx wagon that I loved dearly and I was happy to have another, much nicer one back.

Since buying it, I've done a few minor mods:

-new KYB wrx wagon struts
-Swift sport wrx wagon springs
-paranoid fab 3/8" rear butt spacers
-Invidia Q300 catback
-limited front bumper lip
-weather tech floor mats
-TRS HIDs
-front brakes
-Rota Torque 17x8

This car has been extremely fun to own since it's a limited and very low miles. I've chosen not to modify this one beyond the modest exhaust. I question how long I'll end up keeping this car; I think I'd sell it in exchange for a 2007 STi limited in SWP. Currently it's a bit over 105k miles.

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So here I'll dig into the mods on the 2006 Forester, starting with the drivetrain, suspension and brakes.

It has a 2007 STi transmission in it, which is imo the best one you can have. The gearing is considerably longer than the old V7 trans that came out as well as the 04-06 STi transmissions. The 2-4th gears are very short on those transmissions and it feels like you're always shifting. The 2007 gearing is far more usable, especially at my power levels. Additionally, the 2007 has DCCD over my old V7, and I will be installing a DCCD Pro controller very soon.

The swap retained male front axles with a conversion on the V7 trans. It uses an automatic Forester driveshaft and a 2004 wrx rear diff. It has an STi shifter with pretty much every bushing replaced and feels great.

The clutch is an ACT Xtreme Duty 6 puck, rated for 755 lb ft of crank torque. This has replaced an original Exedy stage 1 HD which was succeeded by a ZF Designs 6 puck. Both of the older clutches were easier to drive, but this ACT has more capacity. Stock flywheel for drivability and a braided clutch line with hill holder disabled.

The suspension is KYB wrx wagon struts with RCE black springs and paranoid fab 3/8" butt spacers. There are STi aluminum lateral links installed and I have an upgraded steering rack as well as an STi rear sway bar and kartboy F/R endlinks ready to install.

Brakes-wise, I have a Brembo GT 4 piston kit up front with drilled 2 piece rotors. I nabbed this setup for a steal on Nasioc. The rear brakes are off a Legacy GT. I have braided lines and a Grimmspeed master cylinder brace installed.

The wheels are Enkei RPF1's in 17x8.

I love the stance of the car. The handling leaves some to be desired, but I have mods on the shelf that should clean that up considerably.

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As for exterior mods, it's pretty basic. Putting a few bucks into the exterior of the car are getting pretty close to the next things to come, probably over the winter.

I have Depo 08 FSXT headlights installed that I bought new, and had them 3M clear bra'd immediately. I also bought some JDM Forester tail lights. The rooftop basket has been moved over to my red Forester. It has a knockoff STi hood scoop. And 2018 edition Rally Armor breast cancer series flaps. Unfortunately not much for photos, but I'll post one that I like.

Interior wise it has a good spread of mods. Starting at the front, I have an 07 STi steering wheel and airbag. I have a Solid Mods vent gauge pod and a Subtle Solutions center gauge pod, which house my 3 Innovate gauges that monitor boost, AFR, and oil pressure/temp. They're pretty good, but I think I want to switch over to AEM gauges. My experience with them has been better with reliability and ease of use.

Hopefully more photos of the interior to come.

I have an EDM STi Prodrive driver (passenger?) seat, with a bugeye passenger seat and wagon rear seat to match. They sit super low and fit my small frame far better than the stock seats. An easy tradeoff for the heated seats. Maybe not so much for a side airbag.

I have front CDT coaxials that are amplified with quite a bit of sound deadening through the car.

There's a Lathewerks shift knob on there now, and I have a Billetworkz shifter that I'll be installing soon.

Lastly I installed a switch next to my fog light button for the test connectors, which makes flashing new maps on a breeze.

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Finally, we get to the motor build. This car has been a saga with engines and evolving builds over the years. I believe it is on its 4th engine, but I've only had to put one in it so far. After I bought it from my roommate, it failed pretty soon thereafter (pro gamer move selling it). I'm not too sure what caused it to fail, but I assume it was poor build workmanship on the engine my roommate had gotten built. Cylinder 4 went down during a pull. I limped it home a mile or so, and pulled the plugs to find no electrode strap left. Out comes the motor, and I find a broken valve, scored cylinder walls and what looks like an offset piston, and a cracked spark plug tube and wrecked valve seat. So, no idea what really caused what, but I ended up replacing the case and the driver head casting.

I was able to polish and reuse the STi crankshaft and reuse the Manley rods. I bought new 99.75 Manley pistons and a used STi bare block. I picked up some new ACL bearings and some new ARP 625+ head studs to complete the bottom end.

The top end received a used driver head casting new GSC intake and exhaust valves, and some used Kelford 199-C (272) cams with some beehive springs. A machine shop assembled the heads and then I had a local Subaru shop build the entire longblock for me.

The motor failure also took out the turbo exhaust wheel, so I sent that over to Turbo Lab to get rebuilt. I sent the compressor cover off to OCD Works for the T51R mod too. Lastly, I bought a new AGP hot side in their .82 trim with T3/Vband flanges, because I bought a new Rock Steady Tuning rotated setup to replace the P.fab kit. He also hooked it up with an ethanol content sensor so I could run flex fuel.

A fun comparison of my GTX3582r next to a stock TD04

I also upgraded the entire fuel system, finding a great deal on some used ID2000's and getting them cleaned. The rails are courtesy of Outfront and I made the lines from PTFE stainless steel braided line and AN fittings from AN Fittings Direct, utilizing the ethanol sensor and an Aeromotive FPR and a Radium filter with a 6 micron insert.

Additionally, I picked up some 19mm phenolic spacers off Nasioc and fitted up an N/A long runner intake manifold. This wasn't too hard, but certainly a few caveats that didn't make it quite plug and play. Then it was a matter of modifying the existing fmic piping to fit the new rotated kit and placement of the throttle body, with a new Tial Q 50mm BOV to finish it off.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a copy/paste of the latest mod list to my knowledge:

Engine
Manley rods/pistons
2017 STi crank
ACL bearings
ARP 625+ head studs
OEM head gaskets
Kelford R-199-C cams
GSC intake/exhaust valves
Beehive springs/Ti retainers
Moroso oil pickup and oil pan
Aisin timing kit w/Gates racing belt
P&L cam bolts
Machine work done by Area Machine
Engine build by ER Subaru Engines
Flex fuel tuning by Torqued Performance @ 27psi

Engine accessories
ID2k injectors
Outfront fuel rails
N/A long runner intake manifold
19mm phenolic spacers
AN Fittings Direct fuel lines
Radium fuel filter 6 micron
Walbro 535 lph in tank pump, STM hardwire kit
Continental flex fuel sensor
Cobb fuel pressure kit
Cobb EBCS
Cobb 3 bar map sensor
XS Power fmic
Crawford V2 AOS
Mishimoto aluminum radiator

Turbo
CNT V3 ELH
Rock Steady Tuning rotated kit
GTX3582r turbo rebuilt at Turbo Lab with new motor
OCD Works T51R mod
AGP exhaust housing, .82
Turbosmart EWG
Invidia Q300 catback

Transmission
2007 STi transmission
ACT Xtreme Duty 6 puck clutch
Stock flywheel
Auto driveshaft
04 wrx rear diff
Motul Gear 300 oil
Beatrush rear diff brace
Misc driveline bushings throughout

Brakes
Brembo GT 4 piston front brakes, 2 sets of pads, 2 piece drilled rotors
LGT rear brakes
Braided lines
Grimmspeed MC brace

Suspension
KYB wrx wagon struts
Epic Engineering wrx springs
All Group N mounts
Enkei RPF1 17x8, 235/45/17 Dunlop Sport Maxx tires

Interior
EDM Prodrive GC driver seat
03 wrx passenger seat
03 wrx wagon rear seat
Thoroughly sound deadened
Kenwood head unit
Alpine speaker amp
CDT front separates
Wired for passenger under-seat sub
Subtle-Solutions gauge pod
Solid Modifications vent gauge pod
Innovate oil temp/pressure gauge, Innovate wideband and boost gauges

Exterior
JDM STi hood scoop
Forester Sports grill
JDM Forester headlights/tail lights
1 1/4“ receiver for a bike rack. Not wired for towing

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I jumped on an open baseline spot at Cryotune on Nov 12, 2020.

Their dyno is one of the lowest reading mustangs I know of. A stock STI will barely crack 200hp on their dyno and a FBO E85 STi will make low 300's. This is just for relativity sake in comparison to my numbers. His dyno is routinely 20% lower than a dynojet.

My car made 516 hp/ 467 tq on about 27psi - keep in mind this is a Torqued Performance tune, not Cryotune.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
153 Posts
On the Hawkeye, did you do a TRS projector swap or just drop in a H7 based HID?

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5MT
143 Posts
Very nice. I had no idea you had so much going on under the hood of the FXT when I saw it at the car meet that one night. Looking forward to seeing more and chatting in person if we ever end up having car meets again.

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice. I had no idea you had so much going on under the hood of the FXT when I saw it at the car meet that one night. Looking forward to seeing more and chatting in person if we ever end up having car meets again.
Hey Ryan! Yeah haha, I guess I'm more into the community and seeing what other people are doing these days; plus the exterior of my car is pretty darn rough to try to show it off or anything. We'll link up again soon hopefully!

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I pulled the car into the garage the other day to tackle a laundry list of maintenance, upgrades and fixes that I've been avoiding for months. This includes some suspension upgrades, a wheel bearing replacement, some interior mods, and installing my DCCD Spiider controller, among a myriad of other things. I was going to do a turbo upgrade and change the AOS to a Killer B, but I'll hold off a bit on that because I went down a rabbit hole on the turbo upgrade and now it'll cost...a bit more than originally anticipated. More to come of course.

Why is the bumper off, you may ask? @Blingstrom might know a thing or two about that...

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD
4,700 Posts
Nice foz's.

Who manages the ECU on that lovely red NA model?

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A little update on how things are going.

I got the steering rack out after a huge fight with the driver side subframe/u-brace thing. One of the bolts that has exposed threads on the other side of the nut was rusted enough to seize the bolt up in the threads of the nut. I ended up snapping the nut off the engine subframe and having to cut the bolt off with an angle grinder. Not a huge deal, but feeling stupid for breaking it unnecessarily. Anyway, an 05-07 wrx/STi rack is going in (they're all the same part number from Subaru). Just need a few parts from the dealer that will arrive this week.

Stock on right, upgrade on left. If anyone isn't familiar with upgrading to basically any steering rack besides a stock one, it's one of the "must-dos" on our cars. It transforms the car entirely.

I'm also changing the front outer tie rod ends and the ball joints, mostly just for maintenance reasons. Car just rolled 150k and I don't know if any of this stuff has been done yet so it's a "while I'm in there" type of thing. Although it wasn't really needed this time around, the Company 23 ball joint puller is one of my favorite tools.

I'm also changing the AOS setup on this because my old retrofitted setup just wasn't draining properly and my car would smoke and burn oil pretty badly as a result. This is an old school Crawford V1 that doesn't use coolant. I'm stoked on how it's looking, very very clean.

More to come! The car probably won't be running until February or so, so I have plenty of time to knock out a bunch of little things.

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
More progress.

Rack installed.

DCCD installed behind the driver dash here. I originally was going to have these control switches where the stock seat heater switches are but the wiring wasn't quite long enough and I just didn't feel like extending it right now. Overall the install was pretty easy. I wired switched power, ground, e-brake ground cut, the gyro, the two output wires, and TPS at the ECU.

Also, new turbine hot side arrived. T3 divided, 3" v band out, 1.06 A/R. Should be fun!

More to come!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts