Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
121 - 140 of 728 Posts

·
Registered
05 FXS 5MT, 07 STi limited SWP, 06 FXT 6MT (sold)
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Did a pretty big project that I combined a lot of stuff together with today.

-Timing belt
-Tensioner
-All pulleys
-Water pump
-Coolant flush and change
-Lightweight crank pulley w/third pulley for the supercharger was installed at the same time

This was a fun work day. I haven't done a timing belt before and I was going off an RS25 DIY. It ended up being comfortably easy, especially with my buddy's help. We pretty much figured out each other's problems and got it done. The moment of truth was starting the car when we finished. I bumped it a few times to turn the engine and when I didn't hear anything getting nasty up front, fired it. And to life she came, just like always.

I also installed the lightweight crank pulley that has been welded to a third pulley, to run my supercharger. I also had some micro fans I was going to hook up, but ended up not wanting to deal with the mounting tonight. So we ended up cutting up my stock fans a little bit in order to make them clear the new pulley. You can see just how close it ended up being, even with the hacking. No more than 2mm of clearance...

Anyway, total success on the night. Except finishing after four in the morning and having to work at seven.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Bit of an update...

I've been dumping miles on my poor car like nuts. I drive too much and I'm starting to get sick of it. Having a girlfriend that lives a hundred miles away doesn't help a bit, either. In a month I have logged 5 thousand miles and two oil changes on it already. In fact I just rolled over 206k today...

My most recent oil change I tried the Wal-Mark G bio-synthetic oil. It's supposedly biodegradable, which makes me somewhat more comfortable using it for whatever tree hugger reason. No real word on how it is yet. I've only had it in for about 700 miles.

As to the supercharger- I got the plans and diagrams today for the mounting brackets. I'll be picking up the necessary angle steel tomorrow, measuring and marking, and hopefully cutting and fabbing the brackets this week. My techy friend has been assigned with wiring the piggyback EManage Blue system, so that's a separate work in progress. After the brackets and wiring, I need to mount the slim radiator fans, fab a charge side pipe, and ghetto rig a hood scoop. There will be small things like finding the correct belt and possibly fuel system upgrades, but the major things are the brackets and wiring.

Big question, does my SOHC have side or top feed injectors? I need to ask around...

Probably the most important update I have is that I am moving at the end of the month to San Mateo, CA. My contract with the Air Force to leave today (the 18) was called null and void due to my collar bone, and I have yet to be cleared for duty. However, I am still entering service, at now an unknown date because of my lack of contract. Short term, I am just going to continue going to school and working! For car stuff, of course...

I took two trips to Kansas lately, and on the return trip on the last one, was stuck with this awesomeness for hours (object being the temp guage)

Question...what is the speaker vent looking deal to the left of the steering wheel? Always noticed it in many cars but I have never been able to decide what it's use is.

Pictures and updates on the supercharger install to come!

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
108*F. Wow! Where was that temp recorded at? My car has shown it that high once, but that was from sitting in the sun. After driving, it dropped to 104*F. And you sound like me, driving way too much. I do about 110+/- a day on my '01.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
^^ Somewhere on I-70 west of Salina, KS. It stayed well about a hundred to about Limon, CO.

Driving is fun to a point, but after all the highway miles and money on gas I spend, I wish I had a separate car like a hybrid for the distance drives.

That vent is for the in vehicle sensor if your car has Auto A/C installed. It it part of the HVAC that tells the A/C system the temperature inside the cabin.
Interesting, I didn't know that could have been an option in my car. I didn't hear of climate control in Subarus coming around until 06 or so. Good to know though!

I also found out some more information about the supercharger today. It looks like I really need to relocate my throttle body to pre-supercharger, as well as picking up a BOV. This is getting so in depth...I just wish it were more plug and play, or there were brackets I could purchase.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
I'm so back and forth on this supercharger. I have already put a fair bit of money into it and lost a whole lot getting it initially, so I just can't decide if it's worth continuing the pain and hassle. I have to custom fabricate brackets with no good design plans, wire in a piggyback ECU that isn't all that good, by any means, get a few gauges which entails an expensive gauge cluster, getting a bung welded somewhere for a wideband a/f ratio gauge, a boost gauge and additional installation with that, and a third one. PLUS, upgrading the entire fuel system, a hood scoop, and then a whole lot more fabrication like custom making a relocated throttle body to accommodate the supercharger after the throttle body. Ughhhhhh. Yes or no...

I took a couple videos with my GoPro of a cool little corner for the heck of it today. They're cool, but pretty far out and since it's just sitting on the ground, are a little low. I'll try to edit it up and post it sometime soon.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Here it is! Full 1080p to those interested...but it's fine in 480 really. Just a couple corners. I was mainly trying to learn how to edit stuff, and spent less time editing than the program did finalizing and whatnot.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,058 Posts
I'm so back and forth on this supercharger. I have already put a fair bit of money into it and lost a whole lot getting it initially, so I just can't decide if it's worth continuing the pain and hassle. I have to custom fabricate brackets with no good design plans, wire in a piggyback ECU that isn't all that good, by any means, get a few gauges which entails an expensive gauge cluster, getting a bung welded somewhere for a wideband a/f ratio gauge, a boost gauge and additional installation with that, and a third one. PLUS, upgrading the entire fuel system, a hood scoop, and then a whole lot more fabrication like custom making a relocated throttle body to accommodate the supercharger after the throttle body. Ughhhhhh. Yes or no...
Custom installations are always a PIA! :icon_eek:

I have some questions & thoughts:
  • Why do you have mess with the fuel system... other than installing a Walbro fuel pump for more fuel volume?
  • No real need to install a intercooler for 5-6 psi of boost.
  • What will the piggy back tuner do? The Perfect Power SMT6 in our '03 X is used to change the ignition timing. It does more, but the other function is specific to the AVO Turbo Kit.

If this is your daily driver... no back up vehicle, it may not be wise continue this project. :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
I totally agree. This is quite nearly as bad as turboing the car, minus exhaust work.

I want to be safe with the install and leave a little room for future upgrades, so I was doing a few mods that another guy on Rs25 has done to his supercharged RS to keep up, such as an STi/Walbro pump, larger injectors (if I go e85), I think he has a fuel pressure regulator and he did some sort of parallel fuel rail as well. Just making sure he never runs the engine lean at higher rpm's.

The Emanage is for the timing and fuel ratio, as well as major tuning if I ever decide to get it professionally done. I can advance the timing and amount for e85 as well.

I was thinking, especially since I will be moving to sea level, that I will bypass the intercooler and not lose that 1-2 psi I normally would, because the pulley ratio I would be running is a different size than what others have been running, and will be very little boost. To compensate, I plan to not run an intercooler, use e85, and the denser air at sea level should get me back to around 6 psi.

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD and 535hp
4,725 Posts
Erich, do you think an apexi AFC would be simpler? I tuned my old civic (16g dsm turbo) myself by way of such an instrument and a good wideband kit. I did street pulls keeping close eye on WOT ratios, making adjusments until i hit an AFR of 12.0 to 11.5 consistently till my rev limiter. It was a crude and simple way, but it worked well considering i was only on 6psi with a small intercooler.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I've just heard that the Innovate LC1 or whatever it is, is the most compatible with our cars. It's not too expensive and although I will need to weld a new bung for it, really isn't that difficult to install. I'm just complaining...

Why are you going to e85? If I did that, I'd have to make a special trip to find a station in Oregon that sells it. :frown:

Bobby...
e85 for the power gains!

121 - 140 of 728 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.