Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't had this much snow in a decade or more. Its like armageddon around here. A 50 car pileup on I40 by our house yesterday, a few police cruisers, a couple of ambulances. They had to get the military trucks from base had to come rescue people, and they left all the cars there.

Only 15 inches, but with the 40 mph wind gusts, the drifts are ridiculous. Plus, we have no snow emergency response to speak of.

Huge drifts in the driveway, way above my knees to my hips.

We got tired of shoveling and it wasn't making a dent. So our brilliant plan was to have the cars push the snow out of the way, fail. First got the WRX stuck after about 10 feet out of the garage, dug that out. Then got the Foz ridiculously stuck about 30 feet out.

While digging that out, Ninja Steve got his WRX wagon stuck coming into our road, so we walked down and dug him out. Then we came back and dug out the Foz, then the boys shoveled while Lux and I made pancakes, hashbrowns, eggs, and bacon.

If 4 Yankees in OK are getting stuck, I can't imagine how the locals feel who have no idea how to drive in it or shovel it.

·
Registered
2002 forester L
26 Posts
Finally

In Norman Oklahoma where we also had plenty of snow I took my Forester out and I had never had it in the snow and it was really fun. It made me realize how much I love my Forester.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know Lux and Steve? They live in Norman and drove to MWC and didn't have a problem until they hit our street. Except for all the abandoned cars on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
We call that a light dusting of snow :biggrin: A foot is a fair dump, drifting can double it depending on how the wind blows in your area. We you guys getting stuck with snow tires or all seaons ?

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh ya I know, I grew up in Ohio and lived in Western Michigan for years. But down here they're calling it the snow-acalypse. They don't have the resources to deal with it here and with the 40 mph wind gusts my driveway had chest high snow up against my garage door.

The thing that bugs me is the people abandoning their cars in the middle of the road. Once we could get out, we were dodging cars everywhere. People here do NOT take snow storms seriously and people died because of it.

·
Registered
08 Audi RS4 6 speed man
156 Posts
i thought it was funny watching all the non drivers attempt to maneuver around in this little bit of snow. all the cars just on the side of the roads and in ditches. oh well... i got around fine..and pulled a few people out.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a pic that Steve took of all the abandoned cars on 10th by my house. This was yesterday after it had melted down quite a bit.

There is about an inch and a half of ice under the snow, so people were spinning out and getting stuck in drifts. Most of the people who were killed were either walking away from their vehicles or helping people dig out.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
My pics:

White Christmas 2009

I managed to get the Tribeca stuck. There is an inch of ice under all the snow that got me when I hit a big drift trying to get to my Mom's place yesterday. My Mom is 81 and could not get the door open to let the dog out due to a big drift. I managed to get close to her house but when I came across a big drift I had to back out the direction I came and got stuck. Damn, the VDC is a PITA sometimes. I had a shovel and cat litter but the freaken ice under the snow would get me every time. I left my Z cables at home thinking I would be OK. Lucky for me a few nice guys stopped and gave me a push. Never did make it to my mom's and almost didn't get back home because the plow that went by our subdivisions road made a huge pile to the inlet. It snowed and blowed more last night and still no plow down my street. I may have to figure out how to get the Forester out with my snow cables. Problem is my Forester is parked in front of my Miata. If I back the Miata out I don't think I'll be able to get it back in because my driveway is sloped back.

At least it looks pretty :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
08 Audi RS4 6 speed man
156 Posts
just took the forester out parking lot drifting... (not pimping) man..cars pretty damn sick.. maybe i should give the wife the STI....

its not too bad down here in ole lawton... a lot of the snow has melted

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ours is still melting. Took the Foz to Waffle House this morning, had no issues, but people were still having traction issues at intersections.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
Just got back from my Mom's. Took the Forester this time. Our subdivision still hasn't seen a plow so there is a fair amount of snow over the ice. I backed out of our driveway into my neighbors so I could be facing forward and get a running start. I had plenty of momentum and made it to the main road. Our roads are still snow packed with ice underneath for the most part. Intersections are interesting, why anyone would take a Mustang out in this is beyond me :shrug: On the way home it was pretty much one lane and everyone was traveling at a reasonable distance. Came to a downhill and I down shifted and let the motor maintain my speed. A young lady in a Honda civic decides to pass (on the right) the Toyota land cruiser behind me. The road narrowed and she cuts him off he has to brake to avoid her and spins out into the median. She's oblivious, I move to the right to block her from trying that with me, what a pinhead. I was going to go back and help the guy but I saw him start moving again. Good thing she turned off before he caught up :chair:

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
A young lady in a Honda civic decides to pass (on the right) the Toyota land cruiser behind me. The road narrowed and she cuts him off he has to brake to avoid her and spins out into the median. She's oblivious, I move to the right to block her from trying that with me, what a pinhead. I was going to go back and help the guy but I saw him start moving again. Good thing she turned off before he caught up :chair:
Hopefully she runs into someone who has a history of road rage in the near future, maybe even in the winter with icy roads. :shake:

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lux and Steve own a WRB 02 Wagon actually. Myself and Novtec are the only two in the state with 07 WRB XT Sports.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts