Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I plan to purchase a subaru forester up in canada and drive it over the border into the u.s. They said something about needing to meet EPA emissions requirements, and that a number would be on the "driver's side door" or somewhere around the engine. Does anyone know anything about this and could help me? Do I need some specific document? Do you think i'll have any problems with this? :confused:
Thank you to anyone who can provide tips/info!
-Nate

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Aren't they much much cheaper in the US to begin with? I think it would be easier to import one from the US->canada->US, unless you're looking for specific options?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have found some for around $4,000 CAD on craigslist in vancouver. i can't go down to the US first, i have no way of getting there besides a greyhound bus and i'd have to find a mechanic in the area and hope that everyone showed up. don't know how insurance would work..it would be senseless to register the car in washington and purchase insurance there for only a month and then drive it down to florida..plus, what if the car ended up having problems? and what if it didn't pass canada's -really strict- emissions laws? then i would be stuck with a car at the border that i couldn't even bring into canada. i've already decided that purchasing it in canada would be my best bet. thank you though.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
i have found some for around $4,000 CAD on craigslist in vancouver. i can't go down to the US first, i have no way of getting there besides a greyhound bus and i'd have to find a mechanic in the area and hope that everyone showed up. don't know how insurance would work..it would be senseless to register the car in washington and purchase insurance there for only a month and then drive it down to florida..plus, what if the car ended up having problems? and what if it didn't pass canada's -really strict- emissions laws? then i would be stuck with a car at the border that i couldn't even bring into canada. i've already decided that purchasing it in canada would be my best bet. thank you though.
Ah sorry, thought you intended on purchasing new! I don't think it should be too difficult, I'm pretty sure all subarus brought into north america are identical aside from some differences in trim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts