Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a used 2003 Forester and the timing belt went on me. From what I hear that means my engine is toast but I haven't gotten in there to check for myself. So what engines fit in there with the least amount of hassle?

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
So I just bought a used 2003 Forester and the timing belt went on me. From what I hear that means my engine is toast but I haven't gotten in there to check for myself. So what engines fit in there with the least amount of hassle?

Welcome to the forums.
Also, yes, when timing belt goes it is very serious - but it does not mean 100% that you need a new engine. You need to carefully examine the damage, see if you are lucky enough to avoid an engine swap.

Unless, of course, you just want to stick a different one in.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

Right. I was told that there's a chance I wouldn't need a new engine but the chance was slim. My friend and I were probably going to pull the engine out and check everything out and see what the damages were. I would prefer not to swap anything because I just bought the car 2 months ago. The timing belt didn't shred or break it just lost some teeth and that was that. So right now I'm just researching and figuring out what would fit in my car the easiest so I can look at some salvage cars and engines.

Thanks

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
All EJ Series engines will fit engine bay. The beauty of owning a Suby.
Very True with only minor differences depending on the year of the donor.

My son and I dropped an '06 EJ25 with 16K miles from a rollover into his '99 Forester S. The differences were with emissions fittings, the fuel rails and intake manifold IIRC. You just have to be sure to look and see what is different if you get a newer engine and be sure to revert it back to your years fittings.

Depending on the miles on your car and if it's a manual transmission, you may consider changing the clutch, pressure plate, and pilot bearing and getting the flywheel turned while your in there.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bjcarter2 - What about wiring and the computer? Wouldn't that need to be redone too? And good point with transmission advice. My car is a manual and my transmission isn't in the best shape.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. Can you post some photos of your 2003 Forester? I could help you if you will post it. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts