Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Forrester with a 2.5l non turbo and 5 months after buying the car the engine blew, so now I am looking for a compatible engine to replace it with. What model and year engines would be the easiest to swap. I know obviously the easiest would be an identical engine of the same year but I would like to find the best price with least miles, and possibility of upgrades. I believe it is the ej25 engine in that model/year if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
281 Posts
possibilities of upgrades.. you would need to get a turbo'd engine. Not much upgrades available with na.

ej255 is the turbod engine for wrx/fxt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, what all would I need? Unfortunately I purchased it from a dealership and it was 800 miles over warranty so now I'm stuck with the bill to fix it, so I figure since I am replacing the engine anyway I might as well seen if I can do something with it. If I didn't still owe a bunch on it I would just sell it lol.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
1,291 Posts
@Xbxhkz Might want to try the general engine forums - After SEARCHING a bit.

Not sure you're getting the info you're after, but any Subaru NON-TURBO from '2006-2010' w/an EJ-series - EJ253 - should work. Legacy, Impreza, or Forester ALL used the same 2.5 engines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ25

Usually, it's just a matter of re-using your Intake Manifold on top of the replacement engine. There are also some JDM (japanese domestic market) engines that are a swap option, but usually are lower displacement and not necessarily a 'better' option due to their unknown maintenance history.

You might be able to use the 'shortblock' (no cylinder heads) from an earlier year if your heads can reused or cheaply repaired.

When you say 'blew' that's not 100% clear...just a head gasket, or rod thru block or something in between?

Don't bother w/UPGRADES. There are no easy options. Just stick w/what was in there to avoid additional headaches. Unless you're VERY familiar w/wiring merges, tuning and $$ (thousands) in additional cost, it's better to just buy stock turbocharged vehicle if you have a 'need for speed'.
TD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts