Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if a 1997 legacy outback has teh the same 2.5 L as my MY 03 forester ?

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
no ... that is a phase 1 DOHC engine, yours is a phase 2 SOHC .... will it work, yes you can get it to with yours or another intake ( 97 was MAF, your is a MAP ) , Tranny bolts with 4 bolts and 2 studs on the 97, you have 8 bolt/nut combo, and exhaust/Y pipe and EGR vs no EGR, cam pulley emitter for sensor ......

Lots to consider, but it could be done, IF you really wanted to.

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no ... that is a phase 1 DOHC engine, yours is a phase 2 SOHC .... will it work, yes you can get it to with yours or another intake ( 97 was MAF, your is a MAP ) , Tranny bolts with 4 bolts and 2 studs on the 97, you have 8 bolt/nut combo, and exhaust/Y pipe and EGR vs no EGR, cam pulley emitter for sensor ......

Lots to consider, but it could be done, IF you really wanted to.
thanks for the info ,but not looking for an engine swap , really wouldn't want to go backwards with my engine .. swap to a wrx engine maybe , LOL

I just have the opportunity to get one pretty cheap and the headgaskets were already done on it . It needs a timing belt and was wondering if the crank pulley tool I have would work on it .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts