Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 turbo s
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

i have a 2000 forester s turbo thats got an annoying problem.. the engine runs and revs great when idle but when you drive off it stutters and holds back ,if you put your foot down it will eventually rev up and go but as soon as you slow down again it holds back again.. anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem and anything i could try... it feels electrical but not 100 percent sure...

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Mine had the same problem after an air filter change. It idled ok, but had a stutter that then cleared at 3000rpm. Changing the MAF sensor improved it slightly, but changing the spark plugs and leaving the battery off for a couple of days to reset the ECU cured it.

I'm not sure I needed to change the MAF, but the old air filter was really blocked up and there was a big fingerprint on the MAF sensor for some reason so I did it anyway. I don't know if it was the plugs or ECU reset that fixed it , but 2 of the spark plugs were missing their tips so that can't have helped.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Spark plugs....my 99MY is certainly prone to fouling them....going one grade hotter next time!

Simon

·
Registered
2002 turbo s
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive put new plugs in and air filter , some days it will drive like a dream so its not a continuous problem,

·
Registered
2002 turbo s
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more so on wet days but has done it on dry days.... i thought maybe leads or coil pack... what you think???

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
I did read something about sealing the plug leads where they plug into the coil pack with some special grease. I can't remember the name of it. I will have a search...

I can't think what the name is but it's non-conductive silicone grease

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
if you ever get that sort of problem on any engine, first thing to do is change the plugs and leads, and the problem will be cured in 99% of the cases

be sure to put a little dab of anti sieze grease (copper slip) on the threads of the spark plugs and some dilectric grease on both ends of the leads

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,436 Posts
mmmm....I had a very similar problem a couple of years ago and it turned out to be the 02 sensor ....just went and had a diagnostic test done by xtreme scoobies to save time and money trying this and that , sorted it straight away. Get a diagnostic test done to rule out certain parts as much as poss if you can :icon_cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts