Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hard time finding a 2.5 DOHC for a 1998 Outback. Will any other engines fit? 2.2 for example. If so will it be a direct fit with wiring harness and auto transaxle? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
No need to worry about the auto/MT part of things, Subaru didn't change any thing in regards to the engine vs what tranny it was being mated up to.

It shouldn't be hard finding a 2.5L DOHC NA, it doesn't need to be from an outback, it could be any 2.5L DOHC NA out of a Subaru. At most you may have to swap intakes/and wiring harnesses between the engines, not hard a few more bolts.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
If you really can't find a 2.5 to put in there, I know my buddy just put a 2.2 out of a 99 OBS into a 99 or 00 Legacy and everything for him was plug and play. Because I knwo how Subaru can be really strange, I won't guaranty that your results would be the same.

·
Registered
1999 forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Doing this job for a friend on a tight budget, so a rebuild is out of the question. Any more thoughts on a 2.2 conversion,they seem more plentiful. What years of the 2.5 DOHC would fit? Would the short block from a SOHC work. TNX!!!!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Yes the shortblock will work.

What went so wrong with the engine in the outback that it is not cost effective to repair it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts