Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Posting this for a friend who owns a 2004 Forester and I've been trying to help him solve his problem but it is a strange one. I am not too familiar with Subaru's, but have worked on BMW's and Toyota's all my life.

Problem: Each time he turns his steering wheel when he is not giving it gas (only idling in gear, both reverse and drive), the engine will studder, same effect that a vacuum leak would have on an engine while idling. It doesn't happen when he is at a stop light and gives it gas. It doesn't happen when he is going straight back or straight forward either.

What could cause this?

Cliffs:
-Car studders while turning wheel, only happens when no pressure is applied to the gas pedal.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
492 Posts
When the steering wheel is turned away from straightline the steering fluid pump adds extra load to the engine.
If the idle speed is too low, this can be the reason: this extra load moves engine's rpm too low for judder free operation.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
When the steering wheel is turned away from straightline the steering fluid pump adds extra load to the engine.
If the idle speed is too low, this can be the reason: this extra load moves engine's rpm too low for judder free operation.
+2, I'd check the belts and fluid of the power steering pump, belts are due for replacement, so that might be a starting point. I had a recent service of my power steering (how many people even change theirs?), they offered a great deal. This particular system pumps a cleaner/lubricant through the system before adding fresh fluid and I definately notice a difference, feels like no load when turning. Plus the idle may have dropped if he hasn't done a tune up (air filter/plugs) recently. Ask them when they were last done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts