Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5x manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
06' Forester 2.5X Manual, 150k miles

I was driving to work yesterday and decelerating in 2nd gear when my forester suddenly stalled. It will crank but not start. Was able to tow it over to my parents' place and take a look. We pulled a spark plug (front driver side) and verified there's a spark when cranking. Then, we sprayed some starter fluid into the air intake but still couldn't get it to start when cranking. Hooked up a diagnostic tool which gave a P0340 error (cam position sensor). I got the sensor out and took a resistance reading of 2k ohms w/multimeter. According to some other forums I was reading that's within range and should be fine(?). My dad was doing some research as well and found some info that we may be dealing with a crankshaft position sensor issue. I pulled that sensor and found the sensor face was pretty dirty, but the resistance seemed alright (can't remember the exact value but it was within the range given elsewhere). I decided to get a new crank position sensor anyway since it's harder to get to than the cam sensor. With the fans, coolant overflow tank, alternator, and battery all moved - I decided to remove the driver-side timing belt cover. The timing belt looks pretty worn, with visible cracks. In hindsight, I probably should've removed the other cover to look at the timing marks to see if the belt had jumped but I neglected to, being a beginner as well as low on time and wanting to see if the new sensor remedied the issue. We also had hooked the battery to a charger, since it may have run down from the attempted cranking, but the voltage was fine and it's only about a year old. I reassembled everything, including the battery which we had removed for at least 30 minutes (allow the ECU to reset?). Tried to cranking it again but still no start.

Having looked at the forum a bit I made a list of things I should probably check:
* check timing belt and make sure marks line up and belt hasn't jumped teeth
* replace cam position sensor anyway (?)
* do a compression check
* check fuel pump pressure (starter fluid check should rule this out though, right?)

Does this make sense for next steps? Would appreciate any and all tips and insights, as I'm a beginner and this is my first post
Also, I should note: my dad has some experience working on cars so I'm not totally in the dark.

edit: originally wrote error code incorrectly as P0430, actual code was P0340.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,897 Posts
@borgy is that P0430 the code you read? :confused:

Not saying this is your problem, but the timing belt, on a manual, can jump a tooth... or more, when using the engine to brake. Subaru installs a guide to prevent this, but if it's not reinstalled or it's adjusted incorrectly, it may not prevent tooth jumping.

Talk a look at this post in another thread.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: ForesterCub

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey @2.5x_sleeper, I wrote the error code wrong in the original post. It was P0340 not P0430 (now corrected). I'll take a look and see if the belt guide you linked to is installed, and if so what the clearance is. Pretty sure this belt needs replacing, regardless. When I took the driver side cover off I remember seeing black debris on the inside of the cover. I'm assuming that's bad and coming from the timing belt rubbing on something? Thanks for the tip.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,897 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update:

Got the belt cover off and discovered the timing belt is missing a bunch of teeth (see photo). As a result of the belt slipping, now the timing is off and the crank and cams are in different positions. Despite this, we think it’s possible the engine is unhurt, as it was pretty quiet when it stalled. I’ve ordered a new timing kit so we’ll see what happens. In the meantime I need to figure out how to get the crank shaft and cams back in correct position without anything bad happening inside the engine. I think, do a compression check as well.

E381CB76-B797-4D64-847A-033D856734B0.jpeg

B30DA1A1-4A10-4F64-9A66-A54CCF41B140.jpeg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts