Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I will soon be doing a complete engine overhaul on my '01 Forester due to a bad HG. Since I have to remove the motor which already has 114K miles, I'll replace all the gaskets, O-rings, seals, etc., but I have some questions in regards to specialty tools to take the engine apart:

1. Other than Company21, are there any other reputable maybe less expensive companies/places where one can buy, preferably rent these tools for the job?

2. I know I'll need the Crank Pulley and Cam Sprocket tools, any other I should know about?

3. What's your advice for removing the valve springs?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Manual.
118 Posts
@SubiAficionado Get to know a qualified local machine shop. Expect the heads to need a complete disassemble, cleaning, machining, etc... One of our local shops is a bit on the pricey side- However you drop off the head intact and they will give it a full going over, cleaning, machine work etc... And when you get the heads back? They are 'plug and play' as in they do everything for you. For the price they charge, they do excellent work. Ask around some of your mom and pop auto repair shops who they could recommend as well.

Just .02cents.

S-

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, good point. A good machine shop will be A must. I've got a few places around here, but the good ones are a bit far.. might be worth the trip though..

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Can anyone clarify whether '01 Forester models bring equal looking cam sprockets on both sides of the motor? Looking at ej251 online pictures, some engines seem to bring two- 5 spoke gears on each side and other engines come with the black one with a big hexagon centered key(passenger side). Did Subaru changed these throughout the years?

I'm preparing things to take the engine apart. If so, that'd be one more tool to acquire to get the ride side(passenger) sprocket lose..

How does one know what model years brought 2 looking cam sprockets vs 2 different ones?

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nevermind, now I know.. my ‘01 Forester does bring different cam sprockets on each head, not sure why Subaru had equal L and R sprockets for other year EJ25s

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
457 Posts
If you're just doing head gaskets you don't need to disassemble the heads, leave the cams and valves alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts