Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon doing my research, I've found some comments about the Engine consuming oil over time and that it is a known issue. Can anyone shed light onto this for me please?

Thank You!

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the clarification! I am having serious second thoughts on purchasing a 2014 Forester after reading this.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am really trying to stay away from any turbos due to insurance and lesser gas milage. I wonder why none of this was ever brought up in reviews from Motor Trend given they awarded it SUV of the year?

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I wonder why none of this was ever brought up in reviews from Motor Trend given they awarded it SUV of the year?
MotorTrend now has a long-term 2014 Touring for a year long review.

That will be their first real experience long enough to detect oil consumption, IF they get one of the bad units. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f155/motortrends-long-term-2014-touring-thread-264074/

No reports yet since their preliminary update, but you can keep track of their reports on MT.com.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT Auto
105 Posts
I am really trying to stay away from any turbos due to insurance and lesser gas milage. I wonder why none of this was ever brought up in reviews from Motor Trend given they awarded it SUV of the year?
Having a Non Turbo or Turbo shouldn't affect your insurance for the same vehicle model.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 5 MT
881 Posts
It seems to be hit or miss.
Mostly misses. Few people have excessive consumption - although that probably depends on your definition of excessive. My car is 1 qt per 4K miles - not at all excessive to me.

You can buy another car and maybe have a slightly lower chance of buying an oil-burner while taking on a slightly higher chance of being hurt in an accident (as Foresters are very safe). Or having a slightly greater chance of getting stuck in the snow (Foresters have great traction). Or having a slightly greater chance of an uncontrollable skid (Foresters have a great stability-control feature).

Depends on your priorities.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Where are your priorities?
I am not discouraging anyone from getting a Forester... just stating that there is still an oil consumption issue with some 2014s.

I also mentioned the XT has not had any oil consumption issue. Not having to add oil every 4k miles would help justify the financial jump to the XT. :icon_biggrin:

I have 18,000 miles on mine and still love it like the day I got it. My parents were impressed with mine and are considering a Forester for when they replace their 03 Explorer.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT + EyeSight
38 Posts
Few people have excessive consumption - although that probably depends on your definition of excessive. My car is 1 qt per 4K miles - not at all excessive to me.
Boy, I sure agree with your first sentence and disagree with your second.

My 2000 BMW 528i never needed a drop of oil between changes in the 13 years I owned it. A quart every 4000 miles sounds crazy excessive to me.

·
Banned
2013 2.5x auto
268 Posts
As a recent (former) owner of the 2.5 engine I would recommend staying away, unless you need awd. Then maybe it's worth the oil burning. Just bought a 05 Camry and it uses 0 oil between oil Changes. Subaru needs to fix this

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Boy, I sure agree with your first sentence and disagree with your second.

My 2000 BMW 528i never needed a drop of oil between changes in the 13 years I owned it. A quart every 4000 miles sounds crazy excessive to me.
A quart every oil change sounds like most cars on the road...
Also, did you do the oil changes yourself on the BMW or did the dealership?

·
Registered
2002 MY03 Forester 5 speed manual. 1.6:1 low range
219 Posts
My MY03, 297000 kms or 186000 miles, uses about 1 to 2 litres between changes every 12500, more or less, kms.
I would be worried if my car did not use ANY oil at all.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD 4 speed Auto
247 Posts
My current vehicle, 2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD has 270,000 km and has never had a drop of oil added between oil changes. I change oil every 5000 km. To me, 1-2 litres would be unacceptable in 12,500 km. On a older vehicle with lots of clicks, I wouldn't like it but if I had to, I would have to live it but totally unwilling to accept it on a brand new vehicle and have it called "normal. The sad part about the entire situation is nobody knows if oil consumption will get progressively worse as the engine gets more miles on it. Many people who are previous Subaru customers might consider the oil consumption of a Boxer engine a "quirk" of the brand, don't think new customers to the brand will accept this at all.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5iLimited CVT
256 Posts
Most new cars will have a percentage of production units that use what many would consider excessive oil. For example, since 2004, the Toyota Camry owner's manual has included what many owners would consider a surprising specification: It says the Camry can consume up to 1 liter of oil per 1,000 kilometers, or 1.1 quarts per 600 miles - in other words, close to a quart per fill-up.

My Forester has 4300 miles and the dip stick still shows it to be full, no oil use at all, and I have added none. But, others may have varying degrees of different results. That is true for all new cars. A few people on an Internet forum do not generally indicate a trend.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.