Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester-s
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can any one tell me about my numbers ,,,good ,,or ,,bad????

1999-forester-s~~~~enginefamily#XJXVO2.5GDE~~~ 75,000 miles.

Is there anything I should know about this motor in particular??

Thanks

arthur

·
Registered
365 Posts
The '99s were prone to head gasket leaks. Do you know if they've been replaced?

Also, is it a stick or automatic? If it's a stick, check if the clutch has ever been changed (my clutch on my '99 Forester went out a in the 70-85k mile range).

Also, if its a stick take it on a long test drive and test each gear thoroughly, then after it's very nice and warmed up, take it to a parking lot and drive slow tight circles. My center differential went out, and when I'd do that after the vehicle was nice and warm it would seem to jerk and "skip", it's rather costly to repair (not that the clutch or head gaskets are cheap), so if it's got the skip to it walk away and look for another deal

·
Registered
1999 forester-s
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont know about the head gaskets!! how do you know if there bad?? and also its a automatic,,

Thanks for the info

arthur

·
Registered
'98 Forester
503 Posts
All of the NA Foresters had HG issues .... The '99 up usually start with an oil leak or coolant leak at the back of the left headgasket ... If its a minor oil leak , not really an issue , but once they start leaking coolant its time to do them ..We see them around 100K , have seen them as low as 40K ...

I have yet to see an '05 and newer with a HG issue .... Done a couple '04's ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts